Find the mass of this ion moving in a magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Bolter
Messages
262
Reaction score
31
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
F = Bqv
F = mv^2/r
Screenshot 2020-03-08 at 14.23.15.png

I had started off by equating the magnetic force to the centripetal force, to find the mass of a single ion. Then calculated the mass of what 1 mole of that ion would weigh to identify what the ion is

IMG_4058.jpg


Hence the answer would be nitrogen (option C) as 1 mole of nitrogen weighs 14g
Would this be the right way of going about it?

Thanks for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cutter Ketch said:
Looks fine to me

Ok thank you, was getting different values beforehand but I believe I must have type the numbers in incorrectly into the calculator