1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass per unit length of a string

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    i am a non physics or math major taking a 'physics of sound and music' course that deals with different wave forms. i am enjoying the class very much (more than i thought i would!) but am having trouble with the math, as the last math class i took was pre-calculus my junior year of high school. here's the question i am having the problem with:

The 4th string on a guitar is normally tuned to the D below middle C (D3). Suppose the string is 646 mm long. If I want the tension to be 30 N, what mass per unit length do I need?

i think (but could definitely be wrong) that the equation to use is V = sqrt (T/mu)

mu is what i am trying to find, and i am guessing that v would be the frequency of D3, which is 146.83Hz.

so, 146.83 = sqrt (30N/mu)

that's about as far as i have gotten - i don't know if i am on the right track and, if i am, how do i solve for mu? where does the length of the string come into play, if it does at all? i am lost!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi whiterobot,

No, the V in that equation is the velocity of the wave. How is the wave velocity related to the wave fequency?

4. Mar 5, 2009 #3
    well, v = wavelength/period, correct? so, the new equation would be:

wavelength = 344/146.8 = 2.3
    period = 2.3/344 = .007

so v = 2.3/.007 = 385.71

385.71 = sqrt (30N/ mu)?

5. Mar 6, 2009 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That's true; and since period = (1/frequency), the more standard way to write this (and more convenient for this problem) is:

[itex]
    v=f\lambda
    [/itex]

This is the wavelength of the sound wave (in the air), but here you need the wavelength of the string wave. What would that be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook