1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Max Area of Rectangle in Isos. Triangle

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An isosceles triangle has base 6 and height 12. Find the maximum possible area of a rectangle that can be placed inside the triangle with one side on the base of the triangle.

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, so far I've created an X-Y Axis and made the triangle symmetric to the Y-Axis. I am, however, really bad at these and need help from here. Where should I go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2
    I know:

Area of Rectangle = Max
    A = lw

I found through the Pythagorean theorem that 3^2 + 12^2 = 12.37 (The length of the hypotenuse)

I don't know what my secondary equation should be. That's my question.

As for effort, I've spent 45 minutes on this problem trying to figure it out. I don't know how to get my second equation. Please help!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the rectangle is inside of the triangle there is a linear relation between it's base and height. For example if it's base is 3 then it's height is 6. If base=0 then height=12, if base=6 then height=0. Do you see why? And can you figure it out for any base?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  5. Dec 13, 2007 #4
    Yes, I totally understand that. I got the answer to be 3 by 6 through guess and check, but I need to prove this through calculus.

How do I get my second equation.

I have A=L*W, but that's all. I need a second equation so I can get to the max through calculus, not guess and check.

The linear equation is -2x+12=y

6. Dec 13, 2007 #5
    I got the equation as y= -4x+12 for the right hand slope of the triangle (for x>0)

and y is also the height of the rectangle at point x, so getting the A=X*Y in terms of X;
    as X=x and Y=-4x+12 ;

A= x*(-4x+12) which becomes A= -4x^2+12x, then differentiating for 0;
    x=0 or x=1.5

x cannot = 0 as then the rectangle would have no base width, hence x=1.5.

subbing x=1.5 into our previous equation (y= -4x+12) to get the height, hence the height is 6.

But because we only used one half of the isosceles triangle (i.e y= -4x+12 only governs the right hand slope of the triangle ) we must double the x value to get the FULL width which is 2*1.5 = 3.

7. Dec 13, 2007 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If x is the base, and y the height, then the relationship of x from the midpoint of the triangle to one of its ends and y is y=-4x+12 x from 0 to 3. But the base is in fact twice as long, so the relationship is in fact y=-2x+12 x from 0 to 6. Though I see you doubled at the end to account for the discrepancy

8. Dec 13, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok then. Substitute the linear equation into the area equation A=L*W=x*y=x*(-2x+12). Now use calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?