Finding Maxima and Minima with TI-89

In summary, the TI-89 Titanium calculator can identify the locations of local maximum and minimum points, as well as inflection points for the equation f(x)=2x^3-15x^2+36x-1. There are programs available to make it easier to use the calculator's CAS feature for this task.
KeylaB
I am new, but i have a question about the TI -89 Titanium calculator, does anyone how if i can plug in the equation f(x)=2x^3-15x^2+36x-1 to identify each location of the local maximun and minimum, and inflexion poits? Will this calculator do this?

Computer science news on Phys.org

I can confirm that the TI-89 Titanium calculator is capable of finding the local maximum and minimum points, as well as inflection points, for the given equation f(x)=2x^3-15x^2+36x-1. This calculator has advanced mathematical functions and features that allow for the identification of such points in a given equation. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the results may depend on the precision and settings used on the calculator. I would recommend consulting the user manual or seeking assistance from a math expert to ensure the correct use of the calculator for this purpose.

1. How do I find the maximum or minimum of a function using a TI-89 calculator?

To find the maximum or minimum of a function using a TI-89 calculator, follow these steps:

• Enter the function into the calculator by pressing the "F1" key and selecting the "Function" option.
  • Press the "F3" key to access the "Calc" menu.
  • Select the "Maximum" or "Minimum" option, depending on which value you are trying to find.
  • Enter the lower and upper bounds for the function and press "Enter."
  • The calculator will display the value of the maximum or minimum and the corresponding x-value.

2. Can I find multiple maxima or minima of a function using a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can find multiple maxima or minima of a function using a TI-89 calculator. To do this, follow the same steps as finding a single maximum or minimum, but instead of entering a single lower and upper bound, enter a list of multiple bounds separated by commas. The calculator will display the values and corresponding x-values of all the maxima or minima within the specified bounds.

3. Is there a specific function or command I need to use to find maxima and minima on a TI-89 calculator?

No, there is no specific function or command to find maxima and minima on a TI-89 calculator. You can use the built-in "Maximum" and "Minimum" options in the "Calc" menu, or you can use the "F1" key to access the "Function" menu and manually enter the function and bounds. Both methods will give you the same result.

4. Can I find maxima and minima of a function without graphing it on a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can find maxima and minima of a function without graphing it on a TI-89 calculator. This can be useful if the function is too complex to graph or if you only need to find the numerical values and not the graphical representation. Simply follow the steps mentioned in question 1, without graphing the function beforehand.

5. Can I use a TI-89 calculator to find maxima and minima of functions with multiple variables?

Yes, you can use a TI-89 calculator to find maxima and minima of functions with multiple variables. This can be done by using the "F1" key to access the "Function" menu and manually entering the function with multiple variables. Then, use the "F3" key to access the "Calc" menu and select the "Maximum" or "Minimum" option. Enter the appropriate bounds for each variable and the calculator will display the value of the maximum or minimum and the corresponding values for each variable.