Finding Maximum of v^x_s: Solve for \theta_{max}

  • Thread starter Thread starter Xkaliber
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Maximum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Xkaliber
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I am having a problem understanding how to find a certain maximum of this equation and am not sure if I am going about this the proper way.

[tex]v^x_s = \frac{v \sin{\theta}}{1-v \cos{\theta}}[/tex]

Find an expression for the angle [tex]\theta_{max}[/tex] at which [tex]v^x_s[/tex] has its maximum value for a given speed v. Show that this angle satisfies the equation [tex]\cos{\theta_{max}}=v[/tex].

Answer: Using my knowledge of calculus, I believe I should take the derivative of the above equation with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]

Using the quotient rule, this gives me [tex]\frac{v \cos{\theta}-v^2 (\sin{\theta})^2}{1-v \cos{\theta}}[/tex]

I should now find values of theta that make the equation 0 or undefined. However, I do not know what v is, which is throwing me off on what value theta should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on your way set the numerator to zero, and solve for [tex]\theta[/tex] You'll see the answer makes sense.
 
However, I do not get ][tex]\frac{v \cos{\theta}-v^2 (\sin{\theta})^2}{1-v \cos{\theta}}[/tex] as the derivative.
For one thing, the denominator must be [itex](1- vcos \theta)^2[/itex]. For another, the numerator will involve both [itex]sin^2 \theta[/itex] and [itex]cos^2 \theta[/itex] which will then combine.
 
Opps! I found my error and problem solved. Thanks