Finding Maximum Strain with Cantilever Beam

In summary, the conversation is discussing the moment of inertia and maximum strain of a cantilever beam. The person has found a formula for the moment of inertia but is having trouble finding a diagram for the strain. They are also unsure about how the force will act on the beam.
Jazmin Urioste
Hello,

I am trying to establish what the moment of inertia is for this cantilever beam as well as the maximum strain.

General formals preferred.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 2.46.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-27 at 2.46.02 PM.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far to try to find this information ?

A quick search should give you all the information you need .

I have found that the inertia is I = 1/12(b)(h^3). However I am having difficulty finding a proper diagram for the strain. There is not going to be a uniform force acting on the beam, but rather a single force at any distance (deltaL) on the beam.

http://ruina.mae.cornell.edu/Courses/ME4735-2012/Rand4770Vibrations/BeamFormulas.pdf

If not then please try to explain what your difficulty is in more detail .

Last edited:

Related to Finding Maximum Strain with Cantilever Beam

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, while the other end is left free to deflect. It is commonly used in buildings, bridges, and other structures to support loads and resist bending.

2. How is maximum strain calculated in a cantilever beam?

The maximum strain in a cantilever beam can be calculated using the formula ε = M*c/I, where ε is the maximum strain, M is the maximum moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia. This formula takes into account the material properties and geometry of the beam.

3. What factors affect the maximum strain in a cantilever beam?

The maximum strain in a cantilever beam is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam (such as Young's modulus and yield strength), the length, width, and thickness of the beam, and the magnitude and location of the applied load.

4. How can maximum strain be measured in a cantilever beam?

Maximum strain in a cantilever beam can be measured using strain gauges, which are devices that can detect and measure the deformation of a material. These gauges can be attached to the surface of the beam and measure the strain as the beam deflects under the applied load.

5. What is the significance of finding the maximum strain in a cantilever beam?

Finding the maximum strain in a cantilever beam is important because it helps engineers determine the maximum stress that the beam can withstand before it fails. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures, as it ensures that the beam is not subjected to excessive strain that could lead to structural failure.