1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding min. value of dimensions for a tank of water

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    Hello

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An open tank is constructed with a square base and vertical sides to hold 32m3 of water. Find dimensions of the tank if the area of the sheet metal used to make it is to have a minimum value.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not entirely sure of how to approach this problem beyond needing to use the second derivative. I think I need to construct an expression of the area related to volume.

So,

the sides pf the base, x multiply together to give an area x2 and the four sides can be called 4xh (side of the base multiplied by height)

x2 + 4xh is an area of sheet metal

x2h = 32

I don't know how to proceed.

Thank you for any help you can offer

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The only thing you're missing is that your volume function can be solved for h as a function of x, and then substituted into your surface area function, making it a function of x alone. Once you have the surface area as a function of x, use the usual technique for finding the minimum value.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    ah of course! Thanks

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Besides the hint already given, you can also use the Lagrange multiplier method (if you know about it).

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5
    I don't know about that.

I'm in a physics foundation year (year 0 at my uni) due to not having done the traditional subjects that lead to taking a physics degree.

7. Nov 28, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is a shortcut available here. If the tank also had a top, you'd straight away say it should be a cube. With the open tank, imagine creating a closed tank by taking two optimised open tanks and inverting one over the other. You must now have created an optimal closed tank, i.e. a cube.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted