Finding minimum speed given position vector.

In summary, using the position vector r(t) = < t^2, 6t, t^2 − 24t >, the minimum speed of the particle can be found by taking the derivative of v(t) = r'(t) and setting it equal to zero. The minimum of the function f(t) = 8t^2 - 96t + 612 can then be found, and plugging the resulting t value into v(t) will give the minimum speed of the particle.
dial1revenge

Homework Statement

r(t) = < t^2, 6t, t^2 − 24t >

Using this position vector, find the minimum speed of the particle.

Homework Equations

v(t) = r'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found similar topics with similar problems but I'm having a hard time figure mine out.

I know you have to take the derivative of r(t), take the magnitude and set it = 0.

r'(t) = v(t) = <2t, 6, 2t - 24>

|v(t)| = sqrt( 4t^2 + 36 + 4t^2 - 96t + 576)

simplified to

8t^2 - 96t + 612 = 0

I guess this where I'm stuck. At probably the simplest part of the problem; factoring. But I'm getting some weird answers and thinking maybe I've done something wrong along the way?

Thanks,
DRV

Physics news on Phys.org
dial1revenge said:

Homework Statement

r(t) = < t^2, 6t, t^2 − 24t >

Using this position vector, find the minimum speed of the particle.

Homework Equations

v(t) = r'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found similar topics with similar problems but I'm having a hard time figure mine out.

I know you have to take the derivative of r(t), take the magnitude and set it = 0.

r'(t) = v(t) = <2t, 6, 2t - 24>

|v(t)| = sqrt( 4t^2 + 36 + 4t^2 - 96t + 576)

simplified to

8t^2 - 96t + 612 = 0

I guess this where I'm stuck. At probably the simplest part of the problem; factoring. But I'm getting some weird answers and thinking maybe I've done something wrong along the way?

Thanks,
DRV

You don't want to solve 8t^2 - 96t + 612 = 0. You want to find the minimum of the function f(t)=8t^2 - 96t + 612. Any ideas on doing that?

Ahh. So I should take the derivative of my new function v(t) and set that equal to zero?

Then plug the t value into my new function v(t) to find velocity.

dial1revenge said:
Ahh. So I should take the derivative of my new function v(t) and set that equal to zero?

Then plug the t value into my new function v(t) to find velocity.

Yes, but you can ignore the sqrt part to begin with. Just find the minimum of the function inside the sqrt.

Sweet! Thank you Dick!

1. What is the concept of "Finding minimum speed given position vector?"

The concept of "Finding minimum speed given position vector" involves using mathematical calculations to determine the minimum speed at which an object must travel in order to reach a specific position indicated by a position vector. This can be useful in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to determine the necessary speed for a successful outcome.

2. How is the minimum speed calculated using position vector?

The minimum speed can be calculated by using the equation v = √(2GM/R), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object attracting the moving object, and R is the distance between the two objects. This equation is derived from the law of conservation of energy.

3. What are some real-world applications of finding minimum speed using position vector?

Some real-world applications of finding minimum speed using position vector include calculating the minimum speed for a satellite to maintain a circular orbit around a planet, determining the minimum speed for a spacecraft to reach a specific location in space, and calculating the minimum speed for a roller coaster to successfully complete a loop.

4. How does the direction of the position vector affect the minimum speed?

The direction of the position vector does not affect the minimum speed, as the minimum speed is solely determined by the magnitude of the vector and the distance between the two objects. However, the direction of the velocity vector will be affected by the direction of the position vector.

5. Can the minimum speed be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the minimum speed calculated using position vector cannot exceed the speed of light.