1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding net gravitational attractions in a triangle

1. Jul 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem is attached in a picture. I've done it five times and keep getting it wrong. The correct answer is also displayed in the picture. Thank you for any help.

2. Fg=Gm_1m_2/r^2

3. I calculated Fg between AB and BC (they are equal). So Fg=(6.67*10^-11)(4)(4)/(.10)^2=1.067*10^-10. Then I drew a triangle (also attached). I labeled the point in between B and C the center of my axis. So when I calculated the sum of the forces in the x direction I got 0. In the y direction the sum of the forces is 2*1.067*10^-10*sin60. I did that and got 2.13*10^-10. Why isn't that the right answer? hlepmeg-d.png IMG_0315.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hello AfronPie,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Recheck your calculation of the force between two of the masses (your Fg). The value you're getting is too small, so check how you're handling the scientific notation exponents.

4. Jul 31, 2017 #3
    Thank you very very much. I did the whole thing right but that one mistake messed it up completely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted