Finding Non-trivial solutions to ODE in Mathematica

In summary, to find non-trivial solutions to ODE in Mathematica, you can use the DSolve function for symbolic solutions or the NDSolve function for numerical solutions. Both functions allow you to specify initial or boundary conditions to narrow down the possible solutions. However, Mathematica may not be able to find all non-trivial solutions due to the complexity of the equation or limitations of the software. You can plot the solutions using the Plot function and Mathematica can also solve systems of ODEs for non-trivial solutions.
sci-phy
For an ODE of order 2 like:

X'' + λ*X = 0, how do I find the non-trivial solution in Mathematica 8? It's giving me only the trivial solution.

In: ComplexExpand [DSolve[{u''[x] + \[Lambda]^2 u[x] == 0, u[0] == 0, u[a] == 0}, u[x], x]]

and the out: u[x]--> 0 which is the trivial soln

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You've set ##u(a)=0## without placing any conditions on ##a##. Try using rewriting ##a## in terms of an appropriate multiple of ##\lambda##.

Likes 1 person

1. How do I find non-trivial solutions to ODE in Mathematica?

To find non-trivial solutions to ODE in Mathematica, you can use the DSolve function. This function allows you to solve differential equations symbolically, including finding non-trivial solutions. You can also use the NDSolve function to numerically solve ODEs.

2. Can I specify initial or boundary conditions when finding non-trivial solutions to ODE in Mathematica?

Yes, both the DSolve and NDSolve functions allow you to specify initial or boundary conditions for your ODE. This can help to narrow down the possible solutions and find the non-trivial ones.

3. Are there any limitations to finding non-trivial solutions to ODE in Mathematica?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it may not be able to find all non-trivial solutions. This could be due to the complexity of the equation or the limitations of the software. In these cases, it may be helpful to try different methods or consult with other experts.

4. Can I plot the non-trivial solutions found in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the Plot function in Mathematica to plot the non-trivial solutions to your ODE. This can help you visualize the solutions and better understand their behavior.

5. Is it possible to use Mathematica to find non-trivial solutions to systems of ODEs?

Yes, Mathematica has the capability to solve systems of ODEs using the DSolve and NDSolve functions. You can specify multiple equations and variables to solve for, and Mathematica will find the non-trivial solutions for the entire system.