1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding nth derivative of function

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each n, let y^(n) denote the nth derivative of the function y = e^(x) cosx.

Can you suggest a general formula for y^(k), where k is an interger > 0? What is y^(2010)?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I got e^(x) (cosx - sinx) for y'

-2e^(x) sinx for y''

-2e^(x) (cosx + sinx) for y''' and

-4e^(x) cosx for y''''

which are right, but I dont see a pattern for the nth derivative, which could help me answer the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Start by looking at the even derivatives.

4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    I would suggest doing another 4 derivatives, and then see if you can notice the pattern. Often times when I am looking for a pattern in data, more data really helps.

Is there a name for a function than takes in some natural number n and gives the n'th derivative?

5. Apr 23, 2010 #4
    I got:

y^(6) = 8e^(x) sinx

y^(8) = 16e^(x) cosx

but still dont see a pattern in comparison to:

-2e^(x) sinx for y''
    -4e^(x) cosx for y''''

as it isnt alternating negative/positive sign or having a constant sign, but otherwise it alternating between cosx and sinx and is doubling

6. Apr 23, 2010 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Take the derivative of cos x four times and you will see the pattern when it comes to the minus signs. Yes it is doubling you should be able to link this to 2^n.

7. Apr 24, 2010 #6
    But for y(2), y(4), y(6) and y(8) the signs are +, +, -, -. I cant see a pattern to represent these in an nth formula

8. Apr 24, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The cycle repeats every 4th derivative, so you might find it helpful to think about how to express y^(4m), y^(4m+1), y^(4m+2) and y^(4m+3). For example, you found that

y^(0) = ex cos x = (-4)0 cos x
    y^(4) = -4 ex cos x = (-4)1 cos x
    y^(8) = 16 ex cos x = (-4)2 cos x

so you can say that y^(4m) = (-4)m cos x.

9. Apr 24, 2010 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No y(0),y(2),y(4),y(6) are +,-,-,+. Have you taken the derivative of the cosine four times yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook