Finding ω and T of a Pendulum With No Numbers

  • Thread starter Thread starter NilliNilli
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Numbers Pendulum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
NilliNilli
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



All this problem says is to find ω and T of a pendulum with a length L and mass m.
There's a picture of a pendulum labeling the arc length, length, mass, and angle θ with just symbols.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I tried solving algebraically to find T using ƩFy=T-mg=0. I don't know if I made any real progress; I'm not very good at these kinds of problems. I need numbers to really understand these kinds of problems. I'm almost concerned that the correct answer might be a number.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the variable symbols mean? What is T for instance?
 
T is tension. ω is angular velocity. It uses θ for the angle, s for arc length, L for length of the rope/string of the pendulum, and m for mass.
 
There's a possibility I'm over-thinking it. My instructor likes to go all-out with some questions, but this might just be him checking out understanding. I'm not sure.
 
NilliNilli said:
T is tension. ω is angular velocity. It uses θ for the angle, s for arc length, L for length of the rope/string of the pendulum, and m for mass.
Drawing the free body diagram for the pendulum bob when the pendulum is at angle θ to the vertical, what expression do you get for the tension?
 
Are you sure T stands for tension? Are pendulums important in physics because they measure tension?