1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding ω_c Given an Energy Surface E(k) in Constant Magnetic Field

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the energy surface
    E(k)=h2((kx2 +ky2 )/ml+kz2/mt
    where m_l is the transverse mass parameter and m_l is the longitudinal mass parameter. Use the equation of motion:
    h(dk/dt)= -e(vXB) with v=∇k(E)/h to show that ωc=eB/(ml*mt)1/2 when the static magnetic field B lies in the x-y plane

2. Relevant equations
    a=(1/h)(d2E(k)/dk2)(dk/dt)
    ω=a/v

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried quite a number of things and spent several hours unsuccessfully, but one route I tried was this:
    v= 1/h(∇k(E))=1/h(h2)(kx(i-hat)/ml + ky(j-hat)/ml + kz(k-hat)/mt)
    B is in x-y plane, so B= Bx (i-hat) + By (j-hat)
    so the cross product of v & B = kz*By/(ml) (i-hat) - kz*Bx/(ml) (j-hat) +(ky*Bx - Kx*By)/(mt) (k-hat)

Now, this is where I am not sure what to do, but I figured I would try the equation:
    a=(1/h)(d2E(k)/dk2)(dk/dt) with the idea that this would be centripetal acceleration = ωv, and this way I could solve for ω_c

d2E(k)/dk2= h2(((i-hat)+(j-hat))/ml +(k-hat)/mt

dk/dt=-e/h(vXB)=-e/h*kz*By/(ml) (i-hat) - kz*Bx/(ml) (j-hat) +(ky*Bx - Kx*By)/(mt) (k-hat)

I doted dk/dt with vXB to get rid of the vectors, and divided by h to get:

a=e/mtml(Bx*(kz-ky)+By(kx-kz))=ωv

Although this seems to have somewhat the form I am going for, I have two problems: I don't know how to get rid of all the different k components, and if I divide by the vector v, then I have an answer for ω with components.

Can someone provide some guidance? Thank you!

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2013 #2
    Or perhaps the method I chose isn't even close...if so could someone please just give me a hint on a better method? I don't know if what I'm doing is just creating a bunch of smoke, or if it's on the correct path. I've been struggling with this problem for days!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted