1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding order of an infinite series

1. Mar 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have been working on a truncated Fourier series. I have come up with a truncated series for cos (αx) and it matches my book, where in this case I'm letting x=π, and then I have shown as the book asks,

Truncated series = [itex]F_{N}(π)[/itex] = cos (απ) + [itex]\frac{2α}{π} \sin{(απ)}[/itex][itex]\sum\limits_{k=N+1}^\infty[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{k^2 - α^2}[/itex]

I am then asked to show that this approximates to almost the same thing:

[itex]F_{N}(π)[/itex] = cos (απ) + [itex]\frac{2α}{Nπ} \sin{(απ)}[/itex]

So I thought no worries, looks like I need to take that infinite sum there and simply show that it is of order 1/N.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only way I know how to try that is to pretend the sum is actually an integral,

[itex] \int \limits_{N+1}^\infty[/itex][itex]dk \frac{1}{k^2 - α^2}[/itex], and I wound up with something like:

[itex] \frac{\frac{αk}{α^2 - k^2} + arctan \frac{k}{α} }{2α^3}[/itex]

as the solution to the integral, with limits of k=infinity and k=N+1 in there for the definite integral (I can't figure out how to show that - I was lucky to manage what I have.

Anyway, having done that, it really doesn't look like it's of order 1/N to me. Am I heading the right way with this, or is there some other way to establish that it's of order 1/N?

This is the very last step in the question and I get the idea it's meant to be, if not trivial, at least quite an easy part.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if your result is correct. An easier way to do the integration is to decompose the integrand using partial fractions.

##\frac{1}{k^2 - α^2} = \frac{A}{k - α} + \frac{B}{k + α}##
    Solve the equation above for A and B and then integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted