Finding peak Emf, pretty quick answer

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf Peak
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of rms voltage when dealing with ac sources. The first part is asking for the peak voltage, which is defined by the equation emf = emfpeak * cos(wt+weird symbol), where the emf peak is assumed to be 330V. However, in a series circuit with a resistor and inductor, the peak voltage across either component must be less than the voltage supply's peak. This requires consideration of the reactance or impedance of the inductor.
I attached the link to the problem. Shouldn't the Vlmax be 330V? I tried entering that and it wasn't accepting my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
sandy.bridge said:
Where is the link?

oh oops sorry lol! no wonder why i didn't get any replies.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 487
When dealing with ac sources you want to be dealing with the rms voltage.
[tex]V_{peak}=\sqrt{2}V_{rms}[/tex]

sandy.bridge said:
When dealing with ac sources you want to be dealing with the rms voltage.
[tex]V_{peak}=\sqrt{2}V_{rms}[/tex]

Well that's the 2nd part of part b where it asks for the rms Voltage. The 1st part is asking for the peak. I thought the peak was defined by emf=emfpeak * cos(wt+weird symbol) and in this case wouldn't emf peak just be 330V?

You have a series circuit (resistor and inductor), so it's a voltage divider. The peak voltage across either component must be less than the voltage supply's peak. You'll have to deal with the reactance of the inductor (or its impedance if you're familiar with that).

What is peak Emf?

Peak Emf, or peak electromotive force, is the maximum voltage that can be generated in an electrical circuit. It typically occurs when a change in magnetic field induces a current in a conductor.

Why is it important to find peak Emf?

Finding peak Emf is important because it allows us to determine the maximum potential of an electrical circuit. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing various electrical systems and devices.

How do you calculate peak Emf?

Peak Emf can be calculated by multiplying the maximum rate of change of magnetic flux by the number of turns in the coil. In other words, it is equal to the product of the induced voltage and the number of turns in the coil.

What factors affect peak Emf?

The factors that affect peak Emf include the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes. Additionally, the resistance and inductance of the circuit can also affect peak Emf.

How can peak Emf be measured?

Peak Emf can be measured using a voltmeter or an oscilloscope. These instruments can accurately measure the voltage in an electrical circuit and help determine the peak Emf value.

Suggested for: Finding peak Emf, pretty quick answer

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies