Peak Voltage across a capacitor.

In summary, peak voltage across a capacitor refers to the maximum voltage that occurs during charging and discharging cycles. It can be calculated using the formula Vp = Vs + (V0 - Vs)e^(-t/RC), and is affected by factors such as capacitance, resistance, and time constant. The peak voltage decreases over time and is important to consider in high voltage applications to prevent damage to the capacitor and other circuit components.
ReidMerrill

Homework Statement

https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1385140/3/36.P42.jpg
36.P42.jpg

Part A
What is the peak current supplied by the emf in the figure?
Part B
What is the peak voltage across the 4.0 μF capacitor?

Homework Equations

I = V/XC = E0/1/2πfC = 2πfCE0

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 25mA for part A, which is correct. I don't know how to do part B and my textbook is less than useful.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do a search on capacitor (or capacitive) voltage divider.

1. What is peak voltage across a capacitor?

Peak voltage across a capacitor refers to the maximum voltage that occurs across the capacitor during its charging and discharging cycles.

2. How is peak voltage across a capacitor calculated?

The peak voltage across a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Vp = Vs + (V0 - Vs)e^(-t/RC), where Vp is the peak voltage, Vs is the steady-state voltage, V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

3. What factors affect peak voltage across a capacitor?

The factors that affect peak voltage across a capacitor include the capacitance, resistance, and the time constant (RC) of the circuit.

4. How does the peak voltage across a capacitor change over time?

The peak voltage across a capacitor decreases over time as the capacitor charges and discharges, eventually reaching a steady-state voltage.

5. Why is it important to consider peak voltage across a capacitor?

Peak voltage across a capacitor is important to consider because it determines the maximum voltage that the capacitor can handle without breaking down. This is especially important in high voltage applications to prevent damage to the capacitor and other components in the circuit.