1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Vector Problem- Airplane emergency landing

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane leaves the airport in Galisteo and flies 180 km at 67.0 degrees east of north; then it changes direction to fly 255 km at 49.0 degrees south of east, after which it makes an immediate emergency landing in a pasture.

When the airport sends out a rescue crew, how far should this crew fly to go directly to this plane

3. The attempt at a solution
    I assume I need the angle as measured counterclockwise from the x-axis,
    90deg - 67deg =23deg

Ax = 180cos23 =165.69 km
    Ay = 180sin23 =70.33 km

Bx = 255cos49 =167.295 km
    By = -255sin49 = -192.45 (because I have my vector pointed in the negative y direction along the positive x-axis)

Ax+Bx = 332.99 km
    Ay+By = -122.12 km

R= sqrt [(332.99^2)+(122.12^2)]
    R= 310 km

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. I also used Ax=180sin67 and Ay=180cos67, which give the same numbers (because they're complimentary angles?). I didn't round my numbers when I calculated everything; I put in the exact numbers when I added and took the square root.
    Mastering Physics says I'm wrong, but doesn't provide a hint as to why.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This number must be at least 333 ...

4. Jan 19, 2017 #3
    Thank you! I rechecked my math, and somehow I must not have entered it into my calculator correctly. This may be a silly question, but how would I know it's supposed to be at least 333? Is it because 333 was the largest squared number and it was added to the other number?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted