Finding Potential Difference between two points

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equations V=IR and possibly Kirchoff's Loop Rule to solve a problem involving voltage, current, and resistance. The individual attempted to solve the problem by looking at other sources online and ended up using a specific equation to get the correct answer, but is unsure if it was the proper method. They are seeking an explanation or correction for their method and also mention a second part of the problem that they were unsure of how to solve.
Knah

Homework Statement

photo.JPG

Homework Equations

V=IR (Voltage = Current x Resistance)
Possibly Kirchoff's Loop Rule but I'm not really sure how to use it

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked at something else on line and ended up doing 9 - 0.7(3) - 6 - 2(3) which got me the right answer for the first part but I don't really what I did and if that is the proper way to solve the problem so any explanation/correction for that would be great. For the second part, I had no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Need not to complete the loop, As we know the current in the branch start from point B (considering VB = 0 and move towards A and see the voltage is dropped or gained and add accordingly. As the current is to the right the voltage will increased on the left side of R (= IR) and then decrease due to cell by by 9 V and so on.

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force that causes the flow of electric current.

How do you find the potential difference between two points?

To find the potential difference between two points, you can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at each point and then subtract the two values. Another way is to use Ohm's Law, which states that potential difference (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R) (V=IR).

What factors affect potential difference?

Potential difference is affected by the distance between the two points, the type and material of the conductor, and the amount of current flowing through the circuit. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

Why is potential difference important in electricity?

Potential difference is important because it is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. It allows for the transfer of electrical energy and is essential in powering electronic devices and systems.

What are some real-life applications of potential difference?

Potential difference has many real-life applications, including powering household appliances, charging electronic devices, and generating electricity through power plants. It is also used in medical devices, telecommunications, and transportation systems.