Finding radius of convergence of series ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SMA_01
Messages
215
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How would I find the radius of convergence of this series?

f(x)=10/(1-3x)2 is represented as a power series f(x)=[tex]\sum[/tex] from n=0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] CnXn

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Okay so I tried deriving, using d/dx(1/1-3x)=3/(1-3x)2 and ended up with [tex]\sum[/tex] (3x)n and I derived this series to get [tex]\sum[/tex] 3nnXn-1

I'm lost where to go from here or if I even did it right...how would I find the radius of convergence?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The standard way to find the radius of convergence of a power series is to use the "ratio test": the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|< 1[tex] Here, [itex]a_n= 3^nnx^{n-1}[/itex] and [itex]a_{n+1}= 3^{n+1}(n+1)x^n[/itex] so that the ratio is <br /> [tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|= \frac{3^{n+1}(n+1)|x|^n}{3^nn|x|^{n-1}}= 3\frac{n+1}{n}|x|[/tex]<br /> 1?<br /> What is the limit of that as x goes to infinity? For what values of x is that less than 1?<br /> <br /> One can, however, show that a power series will converge as long as there is "no reason not to"! The fraction [itex]10/(1- 3x)^2[/itex] only has a problem when the denominator is 0. That is, when 1- 3x= 0 or x= 1/3. There is "no reason not to converge" all the way from 0 to 1/3.[/tex][/tex]
 
That looks pretty good. I don't think you've been careful enough to quite get the series exactly correct. But that's not going to change the radius of convergence. Now use a ratio test to find the interval of convergence.
 
Thanks a lot! I didn't know I could use the ratio test form there.