Finding radius of convergence of series ?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the radius of convergence for a given power series. The standard method is to use the ratio test, but it is also possible to show convergence by finding the interval where there is "no reason not to converge". The conversation also touches on the importance of being careful with the series and using a ratio test to determine the interval of convergence.
SMA_01

Homework Statement

How would I find the radius of convergence of this series?

f(x)=10/(1-3x)2 is represented as a power series f(x)=[tex]\sum[/tex] from n=0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] CnXn

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I tried deriving, using d/dx(1/1-3x)=3/(1-3x)2 and ended up with [tex]\sum[/tex] (3x)n and I derived this series to get [tex]\sum[/tex] 3nnXn-1

I'm lost where to go from here or if I even did it right...how would I find the radius of convergence?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard way to find the radius of convergence of a power series is to use the "ratio test": the series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|< 1[tex]
Here, [itex]a_n= 3^nnx^{n-1}[/itex] and [itex]a_{n+1}= 3^{n+1}(n+1)x^n[/itex] so that the ratio is
[tex]\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|= \frac{3^{n+1}(n+1)|x|^n}{3^nn|x|^{n-1}}= 3\frac{n+1}{n}|x|[/tex]
1?
What is the limit of that as x goes to infinity? For what values of x is that less than 1?

One can, however, show that a power series will converge as long as there is "no reason not to"! The fraction [itex]10/(1- 3x)^2[/itex] only has a problem when the denominator is 0. That is, when 1- 3x= 0 or x= 1/3. There is "no reason not to converge" all the way from 0 to 1/3.

That looks pretty good. I don't think you've been careful enough to quite get the series exactly correct. But that's not going to change the radius of convergence. Now use a ratio test to find the interval of convergence.

Thanks a lot! I didn't know I could use the ratio test form there.

1. How do I find the radius of convergence of a power series?

To find the radius of convergence of a power series, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio or root of the n+1th term to the nth term. If this limit is less than 1, then the series converges. The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series no longer converges.

2. Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must be a positive number. It represents the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series no longer converges. A negative distance does not make sense in this context.

3. Is the radius of convergence the same for every point in the series?

No, the radius of convergence can vary for different points in the series. This is because the series may converge for some values of x and diverge for others. The radius of convergence represents the maximum distance from the center that the series will converge for all values of x within that distance.

4. Can a series have more than one radius of convergence?

Yes, a series can have more than one radius of convergence. This can happen if the series has different behaviors for different values of x, resulting in different radii of convergence. In this case, the series may converge for some values of x within one radius and for other values of x within a different radius.

5. How does the radius of convergence affect the convergence of a series?

The radius of convergence is an important factor in determining the convergence of a series. If the value of x is within the radius of convergence, then the series will converge. If the value of x is outside the radius of convergence, then the series will diverge. This means that the radius of convergence determines the range of values for which the series will converge.