Finding reciprocals of y=x² and y=√x and graphing them

  • Thread starter Thread starter Raza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graphing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
Raza
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
What would be the reciprocal of the following:

[tex]A)y=x^2[/tex]

[tex]B)y=\sqrt{x}[/tex]

I think the reciprocal for A, it would be:

[tex]y=\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

And B would be:

[tex]y=\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]

And also, How would I graph this?
I just need the table of values. Well, I need to do domain,range,graphing and a summary but I think I can do that myself if I get how to do the table of values.


Thanks :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about reciprocals of numbers, then yes, the reciprocals of [itex]x^2~and~`\sqrt(x)~are~\frac{1}{x^2}~and~\frac{1}{\sqrt(x)}[/itex]

Since no domain has been provided in the question, you have to come up with what you think will be a relavant domain- ie : one which includes any "important" behavior.

For [itex]y = x^2[/itex], I would pick a bunch of numbers say, from the set [-10, 10].
 
Would this be the graph:
GraphReciprocal.jpg


The blue one is [tex]\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex] and the red one is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
 
One question: since if f(x)= x2 (for x>= 0), then f-1(x)= &sqrt;(x) are the functions you give, are you sure it is "reciprocal" that is intended rather than the inverse function?
 
Raza said:
I don't get your question. Please rephrase it.

He means are you sure you're meant to be doing 1/y or should you be finding the inverse function (eg. the inverse of multiplication is division, the inverse of squaring is square rooting)?
 
I am sure that I don't have to find the inverse function.
 
Last edited: