1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Region of convergence for complex series

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am struggling to answer this question please help

Find the region of convergence for the following complex series and draw the region

Ʃ(i+z)^(2n-1)/2^(2n+1)

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my hand written working, sorry i could figure out how to use the symbols

http://i43.tinypic.com/10xsnrc.jpg

Thank you

I am sorry I just remembered that links to images are not permitted. How do I delete this thread?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the figure is all right. Now you just want to figure out what region |(z+i)^2/4|<1 corresponds to. Simplify it a little.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Thats the problem mate. I just don't have a clue on what to do after this stage. I have look a various text books and online without success.

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You want to get it in the form [itex]|z-c|<r[/itex] for some c and r.

Hint:

1) |cz|=c|z| for positive real c
    2) |z²|=|z|²

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5
    To be honest I dont have a clue now as in most cases we have only worked out if the series in convergence or divergent. This is new to me. Are they any textbooks or websites u recommend for learning this stuff?

Anyway thanx for your help guys

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may be thinking this is much harder than it actually is. You've already done the hard part. Do you know |z+i|=|z-(-i)|<r is an open disk of radius r around the point z=(-i)?

8. Apr 10, 2012 #7
    No I dont know that. So in this case c=-i?

9. Apr 10, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, |z-c|<r is a disk centered on c. So if c=(-i) then you get |z+i|<r. Now what's r?

10. Apr 10, 2012 #9
    Since its convergence r is equals to 1. Unless i have to multiply by the denominator of 4?

11. Apr 10, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work it out. If |(z+i)^2/4|<1 then |(z-(-i)|<? No, it's not 1.

12. Apr 10, 2012 #11
    cross multiplication makes it |(z+i)^2|<4
    then square root of 4 =2
    so |(z-(-i)|< 2

13. Apr 10, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. The radius of convergence is 2.

14. Apr 10, 2012 #13
    Oh thank you very much I have learnt something very important. So now I just need to plot xy plane with i along the y axis and numbers (radius) along the x axis. The circle with initiate from point -i with radius of 2. So how will i know that the radius is 2 along the y axis since its a imaginary axis with no real numbers?

15. Apr 10, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making this sound more complicated than it is. If y is your imaginary axis then the point -i is the point (0,-1). Use that as a center and draw a circle of radius 2 around it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook