1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding reverse sat current of pn junction diode

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine reverse sat current of diode. To show and explain approach. Given-IV characteristics of diode and tabulated values for forward bias voltage from 0-0.8v and corresponding current values.

2. Relevant equations
    At which point do I need to consider to find the reverse sat current

3. The attempt at a solution
    using formula of ideal diode current densityfor an abrupt pn junction diode??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2
    it's been a while since i've done diode problems... but from the IV characteristics graph, can't you determine the reverse sat current from the graph? not sure if forward bias voltages help, because you need the diode to be reverse biased (V < 0V) to see reverse sat current... did that help? or maybe i'm just not understanding your question..

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, ralph13.

If you are only given or shown the i-v for positive values, between 0 and 0.8V, that rules out a direct observation.

Do you have a general equation for a diode's i-v characteristic?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?