1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Second and Third Derivative from Graph

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem asks to find g'(2), g''(2), and g'''(4).

2. Relevant equations and attempt at solution

The derivative of g(x) is just the function f(x). So g'(2) = f(2) = -2.

I'm not sure how to find g''(2) and g'''(4).
    I understand that g''(2) is f'(2), but how do I find the derivative of f from this graph? Same question for g'''(4) = f''(4).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you simply compute ##g(x)\,##? Just integrate for ##1 \leq x \leq 2## then for ##2 \leq x \leq 3\, , \,3\leq x \leq 4## and ##4\leq x \leq 5\,.## After this you could draw this function and see whether and where it is differentiable and what the values are.

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The graph gives a complete and exact description of the function ##f(x)##. You just need to translate the given information into formulas.

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4
    I think I'm getting somewhere...
    g''(2) = f'(2) is DNE because of the sharp curve, where the tangent line is a vertical line.
    g'''(4) = f''(4) is 0 because the first derivative is a constant and the second is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted