Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' Bid us and our posterity bow the knee, supplicate the friendship and plough, and sow, and reap, to glut the avarice of the men who have let loose on us the dogs of war to riot in our blood and hunt us from the face of the earth? If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! - Samuel Adams
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"People love to admit they have bad handwriting or that they can't do math. And they will readily admit to being awkward: 'I'm such a klutz!' But they will never admit to having a poor sense of humor or being a bad driver." -George Carlin
 
~ After my work in show business, I had a fairly extensive vocabulary of four letter words. When I had my first meeting [with Nixon], that vocabulary was significantly augmented. - Alan Greenspan.
 
"It's the things you do you don't have to do that makes the difference before it's to late to do anything about it". Dont know who wrote it but I like it and try to live it.
 
If we can't think for ourselves, if we're unwilling to question authority, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World
 
Burnsys said:
If we can't think for ourselves, if we're unwilling to question authority, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. But if the citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us. In every country, we should be teaching our children the scientific method and the reasons for a Bill of Rights. With it comes a certain decency, humility and community spirit. In the demon-haunted world that we inhabit by virtue of being human, this may be all that stands between us and the enveloping darkness.
-- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

Nice.
 
"It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable."

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)
The Passionate State of Mind, 1954
 
And we are talking about the y-direction (also known as the j direction).
:smile: Doc Al
 
some Kurt Vonnegut quotes:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.

Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.

Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.
 
dilletante said:
some Kurt Vonnegut quotes:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.

Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.

Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.

Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe.

what is conquer and what we conquered?
 
Izzhov said:
"People love to admit they have bad handwriting or that they can't do math. And they will readily admit to being awkward: 'I'm such a klutz!' But they will never admit to having a poor sense of humor or being a bad driver." -George Carlin
He's wrong on one point. I am a very bad driver and freely admit it. However, I'm not the worst. When people tailgate me and grumble what a poor driver I am, they fail to see the irony.

I don't have a favorite quote, there are too many great ones. But just now, I'm liking this one:

I don't care how poor and inefficient a little country is; they like to run their own business. I know men that would make my wife a better husband than I am; but, darn it, I'm not going to give her to 'em. - Will Rogers.
 
"The more I know about men the more I like dogs."

-- Gloria Allred
 
"Nothing is more terrifying than ignorance in action."

–Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 
Evo said:
"Nothing is more terrifying than ignorance in action."

–Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I think that's great, but then what do I know?
 
"Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show."

David Gerrold
 
rewebster said:
“Truth is more of a stranger than fiction.”

I love that movie!
 
Question to Mit Romney in a town hall meeting: "If you are elected, how many first ladies will we have?"
 
Evo said:
"Nothing is more terrifying than ignorance in action."

–Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He forsaw GW? :bugeye:
 
the First Law of Materials Science is

"Everything can be broken".

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/elmat_en/kap_3/backbone/r3_5_1.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
"Nothing is more terrifying than ignorance in action."

–Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yeah, we all know that. :smile: And some of us from personal experience :blush:

Ivan Seeking said:

...yay...

----

"I am not my oppinions, but much rather my commitments"
...... I still wish I were my oppinions tho :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Once I dreamt that I suddenly realized that I could travel through time by drinking anti-freeze.
:smile:
 
Creative politics at the national level has not been known in Canada since before World War I when the westward thrust to Canada's empire was still a major national goal. Since the empire of the west was secured national goals of development have not been known. Creative politics is politics which has the capacity to change the social structure in the direction of major social goals or values. By mobilizing human resources for new purposes, it has the initiative in the struggle against the physical environment and against dysfunctional historical arrangements. Creative politics requires a highly developed political leadership to challenge entrenched power within other institutional orders. It succeeds in getting large segments of the population identified with the goals of the political system and in recruiting their energies to political ends.
John Porter
 
I have many favourite quotes. The current one on my MSN name is...

"Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity." - James F. Bymes
 
Those who have an excessive faith in their ideas are not well-fitted to make discoveries
Claude Bernard
 
I find the non-pragmatic quotes to be redundant and have an element of pseudo-depth.
 
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
- Eleanor Roosevelt



I read the above one first, and then ran across this one:

"Every woman should have four pets in her life. A mink in her closet, a jaguar in her garage, a tiger in her bed, and a jackass who pays for everything."
- Paris Hilton

I wondered if Paris has learned anything from the time when she did say that --yet.
 
rewebster said:
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
- Eleanor Roosevelt



I read the above one first, and then ran across this one:

"Every woman should have four pets in her life. A mink in her closet, a jaguar in her garage, a tiger in her bed, and a jackass who pays for everything."
- Paris Hilton

I wondered if Paris has learned anything from the time when she did say that --yet.
That's an old quote, it was someone like Zsa Zsa Gabor or Mae West that originally said it.