Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tea, coffee and your favourite cups

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    So the autumn equinox and colder weather are here. In this time of year, people feel the need to warm up with hot drinks. What's your favourite one? Are you a tea or a coffee person? Or perhaps you prefer cocoa or hot chocolate?
    Do you care about the specific brand and preparation method?
    Have you got a favourite cup (mug) that you prefer over others?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2
    I only drink coffee camping and at diners. On cold winter nights I enjoy a nice cup of tea.

4. Sep 22, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Spiced "cider," store bought mix.
    They all get broken.:H

5. Sep 22, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Coffee, black, very strong, preferably in an aged mug from some dusty gathering on applied mathematics and ideally served with not one but two doughnuts.

Like the poster in #3, I am unfortunate enough to usually break such mugs before they reach a mature age. Hence my "like": It is out of sympathy, not because I enjoy you breaking your favorite mugs.

6. Sep 22, 2016 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Like this? :woot:
    cowboycoffeepot.jpg

7. Sep 22, 2016 #6
    Yes! A few years back I got three beautiful hand made mugs at the swap meet for cheap. What is remarkable about them is that the potter made the walls extremely thin for a mug. Normally everyone goes the other way, and they're too clunky and heavy. The glaze is also very beautiful.

The sad part is that two are already broken. I'm afraid the last intact one will also get broken, so I don't use it anymore. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I wish I could locate the potter and see if he has any more, but all I have is an illegible name scrawled in clay on the bottom.

8. Sep 22, 2016 #7

Evo

I had a favorite coffee mug, it had a thermal image that only appeared when the mug got hot, it was a gift. We were moving and the packers were packing our things, I was upstairs and heard something shatter, I went downstairs, but saw nothing, no one said anything, I went over and lifted the trash bag, clink, clink, I reached in and pulled out pieces of my precious mug. That was the beginning of thousands of dollars in losses, which turned out to be caused by the unemployable idiot relative of one of the workers. The movers tried to "financially" compensate me for all of the things he destroyed. There are things that can't be compensated for.

9. Sep 22, 2016 #8

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pike Place by Starbucks straight up, nothing cutting it.

Tea in the evening with a shot of whiskey in the winter when I am feeling rundown.

My favorite up matches the cup in the picture posted by jtbell......

10. Sep 22, 2016 #9

OCR

I like both, but lately I've been drinking way more tea... lots of it, five or more cups a day, love it...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:

I seldom go camping any more, but if I do go out and about I usually make tea... or coffee... simply using a billy.

Lol... and I really do like that song ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :approve:

I never was a swaggie, though...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldtongue:
    Yup... more or less like that ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:oldbiggrin:

11. Sep 22, 2016 #10

fresh_42

"Oh, you got both kinds."

12. Sep 22, 2016 #11

OCR

Possibly ... ?

13. Sep 22, 2016 #12

fresh_42

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
    Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Where are the torus jokes?

14. Sep 22, 2016 #13

OCR

Ah!... got it.[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldwink:
    Here... ?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  15. Sep 22, 2016 #14

jtbell

I started out as a tea drinker in high school or college. I think it was after I finished grad school and started teaching that I switched to coffee, probably because of the coffeemaker right outside my office in the departmental "lounge".

For me, coffee is either "regular" or "decaf". I freeze up whenever I see a chalkboard with two dozen varieties of coffee on it. I think I've actually had coffee at a Starbucks exactly once. We buy cheap coffee at Aldi, brew it in a generic drip coffeemaker in the morning, and reheat the cold leftover coffee in a microwave when we get home in the afternoon. On the road, we stop at the nearest gas station or McDonald's for a coffee break.

Here's a mug I picked up on one of those road trips:

mug.jpg

16. Sep 22, 2016 #15

fresh_42

The word both automatically triggers this quote in me, although I would have linked Rawhide.
    Thanks. It took me this link to realize @Krylov's two doughnuts joke in #4. I get old ...

17. Sep 22, 2016 #16

OCR

Yeah, that would have been better ... :oldcool:
    Lol... that didn't register with me at all...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :blushing:

18. Sep 23, 2016 #17
    Hot chocolate. Even if I'm already melting from the atmospheric temperature. :biggrin:

*drinks* "But it's hot already Psinter"

Me: Doesn't matter, had chocolate.

19. Sep 23, 2016 #18

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It didn't register with me either, I just really like doughnuts. No need to worry about old age :smile:

20. Sep 23, 2016 #19

wolram

Gold Member

I only drink hot lemon aid, there is to much caffeine in coffee and tea which is so bad for one. and i all ways use my PFs mug that is sacred to me.

21. Sep 23, 2016 #20

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Regarding hot drinks, I've become a creature of habit:

Coffee in the mornings and after lunch; in the afternoons, Lady Grey tea; after my evening meal, Lapsang Souchong; and, before bed, soothing Camomile and Honey.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted