1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding speed from acceleration through a potential difference

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    I need help finding the speed of a proton in terms of c (speed of light) when all I have is an acceleration through a potential difference of 77 MV.

I started by saying this was 77,000,000 Volts, and then using PE = qV to solve for energy. I used E = mc^2 to find mass and used this and rest mass of a proton to find gamma by using m = mo(gamma). I found gamma to be less than one. How is this possible? What did I do wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One should use the expression for relativistic kinetic energy;

[tex]E_{k}=m_{0}c^2(\gamma - 1)[/tex]

4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    but I need to find V, velocity.

5. Oct 2, 2006 #4
    Oh wait, I see what you're saying, I will try this and post again if I have not done it correctly again. Thank you

6. Oct 2, 2006 #5
    thanks very much, I got the question right. I have one more question if you are still around.

7. Oct 2, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem, I'm still here.

8. Oct 2, 2006 #7
    Great, I was going to post a new topic but I didn't want to flood the board too much.

What is the Schwarzschild radius for a typical galaxy (with mass on the order of 10^41 kg)?

I do not understand the "with mass on the order of 10^41 kg"

I tried plugging (1e41) with the Schwarzchild radius formula but I got the wrong answer when I entered it into the test. I have one more response left so I need to get it right, thanks so much for the help so far, I'd be grateful if you could work with me on this one.

9. Oct 2, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On the order of means exactly what you did. Off the order usually means powers of ten. If this is a webassign homework you probably know already, but you need to be very careful with the way you enter your answers (significant figures, units metres of kilometres etc). I've just done a quick calc myself and arrived at a radius of about 1.48x1014m.

10. Oct 2, 2006 #9
    Ah! that must be why! I got the same exact answer, but they want it in km. I did not realize the Schwarzchild radius formula is worked to give answers in meters. So, since my webassign quiz wants it in km, it should be, 1.48x10^11 km, correct?

11. Oct 2, 2006 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your unsure check your units, assuming you entered everything into the equation in SI units;

[tex]R = \frac{2GM}{c^{2}} =\frac{(m^{3}kg^{-1}s^{-2})(kg)}{(ms^{-1})^2} = m[/tex]

Assuming webassign wants it to 3sf then yes, your answer should be correct.

12. Oct 2, 2006 #11
    got it right! 100% score wahoo

thanks a lot Hootenanny, thanks verryyy much for your time.

13. Oct 2, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well done mate. :approve:
    My pleasure

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?