Finding start of ferrite transformer

• Thread starter microman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the conversation discusses using a ferrite core transformer with two separate windings and determining the polarity of the windings with respect to each other. Different methods, such as using a sine wave or manually pulsing a DC current, are suggested for verifying the polarity. The conversation also touches on the proper way to drive a flyback transformer and provides a link for further information on power converter topologies and design methodology.
microman
Hello ,

I have a ferrite core transformer with two separate windings. I was hoping if someone can tell me if I can locate the start of each winding relative to each other.
I have a scope, and am comfortable with micro based circuits.

Cheers
Thomas

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you want to determine the polarity of the two windings with respect to each other? If so, put a sine wave of the appropriate frequency (do you know what frequencies this transformer is designed for?) into the 1st winding, and measure the output on the 2nd winding. That will give you the polarity and turns ratio.

Welcome to the PF, BTW!

There is even a cheaper method if you don't have a sine wave generator. Just manually pulse a DC current in one coil and observe on the oscilloscope whether the spike in the other coil goes positive or negative.

Hi Berkeman , Waht,

Thanks for the response to my post and the welcome to PF. I am attaching a pdf ,would the output waveform be as it is there ? Would there be any difference between a Sine and a square wave for this check ?
This flyback txfer is for a dc-dc low power converter ,square wave at 60kHz,to convert from 9V to 90V at 1mA.

Thanks again.

oops no attachment,so trying again

Attachments

• waveform.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 319
That's not how you would generally drive a flyback transformer. The secondary output winding (with more turns for the step-up function) would be grounded on the dot polarity end, and the non-dot end of the secondary would have a rectifying diode connected with an output smoothing capacitor.

You drive the flyback converter by putting a positive supply and capacitor on the dot end of the primary, and using a low-side transistor switch to pull down the bottom of the primary for the energy-storage phase. You would choose the drive frequency (or on-time pulse width) at the primary to stay short of saturating the core.

I guess the way you've shown a "test drive" circuit to verify the polarity dots is probably okay, it just gives me a bit of vertigo when used in the context of a flyback converter circuit.

EDIT -- Ack, I was brain dead. I've corrected a polarity error in the secondary part of this post, and sent the OP a PM to be sure they know about my error. Jeeze, sorry for any confusion. I realized my error sitting in a waiting room this afternoon, with no Internet access. Here's a summary page from wikipedia.org about about flybacks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_converter

Last edited:
Hello Berkeman,

Thanks for your post.Yes I am aware of the flyback configuration.This was purely for verifying the start end of each coil.So i guess the waveform should be ok to verify the start ends of the txfer.

In case anyone is more interested here is a link to a nice site on power converter topologies and a design methodology.
http://schmidt-walter.fbe.fh-darmstadt.de/smps_e/trafo_hilfe_e.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I determine the start of a ferrite transformer?

The start of a ferrite transformer can be determined by several methods, including visual inspection, measuring the inductance, and using an LCR meter. Visual inspection involves looking for any markings or labels on the transformer, such as "start" or "primary." Measuring the inductance can also help determine the start of the transformer, as the inductance will be higher at the primary winding. An LCR meter can also be used to measure the inductance and determine the start of the transformer.

2. Why is it important to find the start of a ferrite transformer?

The start of a ferrite transformer is important because it indicates the primary winding, which is responsible for transferring the power from the input to the output. It is also necessary for proper wiring and circuit design, as the start of the transformer must be connected to the correct input source.

3. Can the start of a ferrite transformer change?

Yes, the start of a ferrite transformer can change if the winding is physically altered or if the transformer is damaged. It is important to always label or mark the start of the transformer to avoid any confusion or mistakes in circuit design.

4. What happens if the start of a ferrite transformer is connected to the wrong source?

If the start of a ferrite transformer is connected to the wrong source, the transformer will not function properly. This can result in a variety of issues, such as low output voltage, overheating, or even damage to the transformer. It is crucial to correctly identify and connect the start of the transformer to the correct source.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when finding the start of a ferrite transformer?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when finding the start of a ferrite transformer. It is important to always work with the transformer powered off and to use proper safety equipment, such as insulated gloves and tools. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of electrical circuits and to follow the manufacturer's instructions when handling transformers.