1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding surface area with volume

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Ok, so I did a test today for advance functions and there was a question: the volume of a pop can is 350ml, find the minimum surface area and determine the dimensions.
    Where I got stuck:

350=pi(r)^2*h
    h=350/pi(r)^2

SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)(h)
    SA= 2pi(r)^2+2pi(r)(350/pi(r)^2)

=(2(pi(r)^3+350))/(pi(r))

I'm stuck here :S

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    How do I [STRIKE]shot web[/STRIKE] er, minimize function? Doesn't it have to do with the derivative having a certain value?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey ahmedb and welcome to the forums.

One thing you should be aware of is that volume is cubic metres (or centimetres or inches or some other unit of length) so you need to convert the liquid quantity to volume by looking at the density.

As Muphrid pointed out above, you want to look into finding a minimum which has a direct correspondence to the derivative being zero.

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4
    This problem has nothing to do with density. You simply need to find the minimum value for the surface area function you came up with. To do this, you find the derivative of your SA function with respect to r, and set it to 0.

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

If you want things in the right units, this is a critical step.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

ahmedb,
    Homework problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the math technical section.

I am moving your post.

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it isn't. Liquid quantity is volume. Nothing in this problem has anything to do with density, weight, or mass.

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8

chiro

Science Advisor

Yeah you're right: I was under the impression that it was in another unit. My apologies.

10. Sep 20, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Happens to me all the time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook