Finding tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system

In summary, the problem is that the construction is fairly simple, but the math for the experiment is messed up. The theoretical velocities for C after 5 cm and 85 cm of fall are not very close to the measured velocities.
SovXietday

Homework Statement

This is a "DOE" (Design of Experiment) problem. Basically, the construction is fairly simple. 3 pulleys, 2 on either side, and a free pulley with a weight suspended on it in the middle. Picture is available (don't mind my crappy paint skills, rope lengths are all parallel).

I basically need to compare theoretical velocity of C after falling 5cm and after falling 85cm to my actual measured velocities. However, to be honest my experimental values are all sorts of messed up, and I'm simply not sure if my math is anywhere near right.

m1 = .270kg
m2 = .522kg
m3 = .300kg

Homework Equations

F(net) = ma
xf = 1/2at^2 + Vot + xi (dx/dt and dv/dt respectfully)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I set up my three equations.

m1g - T1 = m1a
T1 = m1g - m1a Eq1

2T2 - m2g = m2a
T2= 1/2(m2g + m2a) Eq2

m3g - T3 = m3a
T3 = m3g - m3a Eq3

So, Fnet = ma should be
T1 + T3 - T2 = ma (what is m? The mass sum of the system?)

Plug in.
m1g - m1a + m3g - m3a - 1/2m2g - 1/2m2a = ma
m1g + m3g - 1/2m2g = a(m + m1 + m3 + 1/2m2)

Isolate for a = (g[m1 + m3 - 1/2m2]) / (m + m1 + m3 + 1/2m2)

If I plug in what I *think* m is supposed to equal (1.092), I get a = 1.923m/s

Integrate a
Vf = 1.923t + Vo (Vo is 0)
Integrate vf
xf = .9615t^2 + xo (Xo is also 0)

Plug in .85m for Xf (furthest displacement of weight 3)
t = .94s

Vf = 1.923(.94)
Vf = 1.808 m/s at .85m

...not even close am I?

Attachments

• DOE1.jpg
    DOE1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,360
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the mass of the pulleys? Or they should be assumed massless when calculating the theoretical velocities?

ehild

Masses of the pulleys are all 7grams. The mass of weight 2 already has the the entire pulley assembly + hanging weight added up. This is a real test, so everything applies.

Real problem is that the teacher has assigned this test for dynamics chapter 1 - rectilinear motion. That's fine if we have distances and velocities, but we don't "know" forces yet, so I'm trying to source all of these equations from backlogs of long ago physics homework and online teachings. :/

Which mass is C that falls 5 cm and 85 cm?

The problem is relatively easy if you can ignore the rotational inertia of the pulleys. It is rather complicated otherwise.

In the former case, the tension is the same in all pieces of the rope.
The acceleration of the masses are not the same, however. You need to find out how the acceleration of mass 1 and mass 3 are related to the acceleration of mass 2. Mass 2 is attached to two pieces of the rope. If mass 1 moves downward by Δy1 and mass 3 moves downward by Δy3, mass 2 must move upward by Δy2=(Δy1+Δy3). Take these into account in your equations. You get 3 equations with the unknown T and a1, a3.

ehild

I would first check to see if there are any errors in the experimental setup or data collection process that could be causing the discrepancies between the theoretical and measured values. It's important to make sure all measurements are accurate and precise.

If the setup and data collection seem to be correct, I would then revisit my calculations to see if there are any errors or simplifications that could be causing the discrepancies. It's possible that there are additional forces or factors that were not accounted for in the equations.

I would also consider using a computer simulation or modeling software to simulate the system and compare the results to the experimental data. This could help identify any potential sources of error and provide a more accurate understanding of the system.

Additionally, I would consult with other scientists or experts in the field to get their input and perspective on the problem. Collaborating and discussing with others can often lead to new insights and solutions.

In conclusion, it's important to carefully analyze all aspects of the problem and seek outside input in order to accurately determine the tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system.

1. How do you find the tension in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system?

To find the tension in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system, you will need to use the equation T=mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You will need to calculate the tension for each weight and then add them together to find the total tension in the system.

2. What is the acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system?

The acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system can be found using the equation F=ma, where F is the force and m is the mass. The force can be calculated by multiplying the tension by the number of ropes attached to each weight. Once you have the force, you can divide it by the total mass of the system to find the acceleration.

3. Can you use Newton's Second Law to find the tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system?

Yes, you can use Newton's Second Law (F=ma) to find the tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system. This law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By applying this law to each weight in the system, you can calculate the tension and acceleration.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system does not affect the tension and acceleration. As long as the system is set up properly and the ropes and pulleys are in good condition, the tension and acceleration will remain the same regardless of the number of pulleys.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system?

There are a few factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating tension and acceleration in a 3 weight, 3 pulley system. These include friction in the pulleys, the weight of the ropes, and any external forces acting on the system. It is important to take these factors into consideration and try to minimize their impact in order to get a more accurate calculation.