1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding terminal voltage without voltmeter

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    << Mentor Note -- OP has been warned about not showing any effort toward a solution >>

How can I find the terminal voltage across a 6v power supply, without using a voltmeter. The problem is the only equipment listed on the practical is an ammeter and a resistor with unspecified resistance...

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR
    V=emf-Ir

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not a clue

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What does the resistor look like? No color code? Any way to use only part of it in a circuit?

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3
    No idea, I have only been provided with a list of equipment, but the practical is in about half an hour...

5. Jan 22, 2015 #4
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67766-unit-g483-practical-skills-in-physics-1-quantitative-task-specimen.pdf [Broken]
    This is the practical I'm doing

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jan 22, 2015 #5
    I'm only confused on the first point, seeing as no internal resistance or resistance of any resistor has been stated... It simply asks to draw a circuit set-up to find the terminal voltage across the power supply

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Assuming the protective resistor isn't color coded, the only idea that comes to my mind is to incorporate varying lengths of the wire in the circuit.

R = unknown resistance of protective resistor
    Rw = unknown resistance of the wire
    V = unknown voltage

Using the circuit in Fig. 1.1, assume incorporating 1/3 of the wire in the circuit puts a resisance Rw/3 in the circuit, etc
    Make measurements to establish simultaneous equations

For example:

V = I1 R + I1 Rw
    V = I2 R + I2 Rw/2
    V = I3 R + I3 Rw/3

Gives 3 equations with currents I1, I2, I3 known by measurement to solve for unknowns V, R, Rw

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  8. Jan 22, 2015 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Good luck. It's 4:30 AM here and I must go to bed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted