Finding the accel of two objects on an incline.

• Thread starter Agent M27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary: You are correct. I am not sure what you mean by "the order of the terms in the EQ of motion". You have a general equation that is always true. If, when you plug in the numbers, the acceleration turns out to be a positive number, then you have chosen its direction correctly. Else, the acceleration must be in the opposite direction from the one you chose.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

Two objects are connected via a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley. Assuming the incline is frictionless, m1=2 Kg m2=6 Kg and [tex]\theta[/tex]=55. Find the acceleration of the objects and the tension in string.

This porblem is set up with m1 hanging vertically from the pulley and m2 is resting on the inclined portion connect to the same string.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is I found the tension in the string using the equation of motion for the mass m1/SUB]:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=T-mg=ma

T=m1g+m1a

I choose the acceleration to be positive here because were this a true situation this would be the direction of motion of the system.

I then wrote an equation of motion for the mass m2/SUB]:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F= mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]-T=-ma

I choose this as the EQ of motion because mgsin\theta will provide more of a force than the tension of the rope, and I choose -ma because this portion of the system is traveling in the opposite direction.

Plugging in my equation for T I arrive at the following eq for the acceleration of the system, which is equal due to them being connected.

a=[tex]\frac{m_{2}gsin\theta - m_{1}g}{(m_{1}-m_{2})}[/tex]

Basically I am wondering if I am correct, and also what is a solid method for determining the order of the terms in the EQ of motion? Thanks

Joe

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. I am not sure what you mean by "the order of the terms in the EQ of motion". You have a general equation that is always true. If, when you plug in the numbers, the acceleration turns out to be a positive number, then you have chosen its direction correctly. Else, the acceleration must be in the opposite direction from the one you chose.

Agent M27 said:

Homework Statement

Two objects are connected via a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley. Assuming the incline is frictionless, m1=2 Kg m2=6 Kg and [tex]\theta[/tex]=55. Find the acceleration of the objects and the tension in string.

This porblem is set up with m1 hanging vertically from the pulley and m2 is resting on the inclined portion connect to the same string.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is I found the tension in the string using the equation of motion for the mass m1/SUB]:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=T-mg=ma

T=m1g+m1a

I choose the acceleration to be positive here because were this a true situation this would be the direction of motion of the system.
Your equation is correct, but since you chose T as positive, T>m_1(g), then a is positive, in the direction of the net force.
I then wrote an equation of motion for the mass m2/SUB]:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F= mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]-T=-ma

I choose this as the EQ of motion because mgsin\theta will provide more of a force than the tension of the rope, and I choose -ma because this portion of the system is traveling in the opposite direction.
You have a signage error.
Plugging in my equation for T I arrive at the following eq for the acceleration of the system, which is equal due to them being connected.

a=[tex]\frac{m_{2}gsin\theta - m_{1}g}{(m_{1}-m_{2})}[/tex]

Basically I am wondering if I am correct, and also what is a solid method for determining the order of the terms in the EQ of motion? Thanks

Joe
Correct your signage error. The acceleration of each block is in the direction of the net force. If m_1 is assumed to move up, as a positive direction, then m_2 moves down the plane, as a positive direction. If the net force on block is assumed down the plane as positive, then 'a' is positive down the plane. If 'a' comes out negative, you assumed the wrong direction for the net force.

Oops. :redface: PhantomJay is correct. I looked at the numerator of your expression without paying too much attention to the denominator. If m1 = m2, the acceleration becomes infinite which is clearly troublesome.

So acording to your directives PhantomJay, my second equation of motion ought to be:

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = m1gsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - T = m2a

Plugging in T to solve for a I get the following:

a=[tex]\frac{m_{2}gsin\theta - m_{1}g}{(m_{2}+m_{1})}[/tex]

This is the case because I choose the vertical component of gravity to be the positive, therefore net force, as well the accel is in the direction of this force, which made it positive. Thanks gents.

Joe

1. What is the acceleration of two objects on an incline?

The acceleration of two objects on an incline is dependent on the angle of the incline and the mass of the objects. It can be calculated using the formula a = gsin(theta) where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the incline.

2. How do you find the angle of the incline?

The angle of the incline can be found using the formula theta = sin^-1(a/g) where a is the acceleration of the objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from the previous formula a = gsin(theta).

3. Is the acceleration of the objects the same on different inclines?

No, the acceleration of the objects will vary depending on the angle of the incline. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration will be. This is because the force of gravity acting on the objects is broken down into two components, one parallel to the incline and one perpendicular. The parallel component is what causes the objects to accelerate.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the acceleration on an incline?

The mass of the objects does not affect the acceleration on an incline. This is because the force of gravity acting on the objects is proportional to their mass, so the ratio of the parallel and perpendicular components of gravity will remain the same regardless of mass. However, the force of friction may be greater for heavier objects, which can affect the overall acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of two objects on an incline ever be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of two objects on an incline can be negative. This would occur if the angle of the incline is greater than 90 degrees, meaning the objects are moving downhill. In this case, the acceleration would be in the direction opposite to the motion of the objects, resulting in a negative value.