Finding the Acceleration of a Pivoted Rod Released from a Horizontal Position

  • Thread starter Thread starter Macroer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angular Dynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Macroer
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A uniform rod of length 3L is pivoted as shown and is resting at a horizontal position.
What is the acceleration of the center of mass of the rod the instant it is released?
The diagram is added to the attachment.

Homework Equations



tnet=Iaangular

The Attempt at a Solution


From parallel axis theorem the moment of inertia I, around the rotation axis is I=(1/12)mL2 + m(L/2)2=(1/3)mL2

tnet= mg(L/2) = Iaangular
mg(L/2)=(1/3)mL2(alinear/0.5L) as the centre of mass is 0.5m away from rotation axis.
mg/2=(2/3)malinear
g/2=(2/3)alinear
(3/4)g =alinear

Thats not the answer, where did i go wrong?
 
Attachments
  • rod.JPG
    rod.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Macroer! :smile:
Macroer said:
From parallel axis theorem the moment of inertia I, around the rotation axis is I=(1/12)mL2 + m(L/2)2=(1/3)mL2

erm :redface: … wrong L !

(1/12 of 3L squared)