Finding the acceleration of a pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system with Mass A (400g) on a wooden ramp being pulled by Mass B (300g) which is suspended in the air. The board is placed on a table at an angle of 12 degrees and has specific measurements for the hypotenuse, height, and table length. The conversation also mentions a derived equation for calculating the acceleration of the system, but it is noted that it does not account for friction. The speaker expresses frustration and asks for advice on incorporating friction. It is suggested to use free body diagrams and Newton's laws instead of using incorrect equations.
physicskills
1. A pulley system consists of Mass A (400g) on a wooden ramp being pulled by Mass B (300g) which is suspended in the air. The board is placed on a table at an angle of 12 degrees. The following values are for the system: Hypotenuse(Length of board): 50cm, Height from table to board (a from pythagoren thereom): 15cm and table length (b from PT): 48cm and the height of the table is 37 cm. Calculate the acceleration of the system

2. I have a derived equation from a previous question:
[itex]\frac{acceleration of system= (mass of A)(gravity)-mass of b(sin [degree])}{mass of a + mass of b}[/itex]

3. I have a good idea what to do, but just because the equation I have does not account for friction and this one does so I am not sure what to do for it. How would I incorportate friction? Thanks, I am getting frustrated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicskills said:
1. A pulley system consists of Mass A (400g) on a wooden ramp being pulled by Mass B (300g) which is suspended in the air. The board is placed on a table at an angle of 12 degrees. The following values are for the system: Hypotenuse(Length of board): 50cm, Height from table to board (a from pythagoren thereom): 15cm and table length (b from PT): 48cm and the height of the table is 37 cm. Calculate the acceleration of the system

2. I have a derived equation from a previous question:
[itex]\frac{acceleration of system= (mass of A)(gravity)-mass of b(sin [degree])}{mass of a + mass of b}[/itex]

3. I have a good idea what to do, but just because the equation I have does not account for friction and this one does so I am not sure what to do for it. How would I incorportate friction? Thanks, I am getting frustrated
It is a very bad idea to use equations obtained from one problem and apply them to another. Especially when the equation is wrong to begin with. Instead, use free body diagrams for each mass to identify all forces acting, then use Newton's laws. Your calculation for the height of the board above the tabletop is also not correct. I don't see friction noted anywhere.

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

How do you find the acceleration of a pulley system?

To find the acceleration of a pulley system, you will need to know the mass of the object being lifted, the force applied to the system, and the number of pulleys used. You can then use the formula acceleration = force / mass to calculate the acceleration.

What factors affect the acceleration of a pulley system?

The acceleration of a pulley system can be affected by the weight of the object being lifted, the force applied to the system, the friction in the pulley wheels, and the number of pulleys used. The more weight being lifted or the more friction present, the slower the acceleration will be.

Can the acceleration of a pulley system be greater than the force applied?

No, the acceleration of a pulley system cannot be greater than the force applied. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. Therefore, the acceleration of the pulley system cannot exceed the applied force.

What are some real-life applications of pulley systems?

Pulley systems are used in many everyday objects such as elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. They are also used in more complex machines like construction equipment and in sports equipment like rock climbing gear. Pulley systems are also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate principles of motion and force.