Finding the angular acceleration of a flywheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving the conservation of energy and the use of a flywheel. The individual is unable to solve part b of the problem and derives a relation between the car's linear acceleration and the flywheel's angular acceleration. However, this is not the correct answer and after further discussion, it is determined that the car's acceleration can be found using simple SUVAT equations and this leads to the correct value for the flywheel's angular acceleration.
cpgp
Homework Statement
A car is fitted with an energy-conserving flywheel, which in operation is geared to the driveshaft so that it rotates at 237 rev/s when the car is traveling at 86.5 km/h. The total mass of the car is 822 kg, the flywheel weighs 194 N, and it is a uniform disk 1.08 m in diameter. The car descends a 1500-m long, 5.00° slope, from rest, with the flywheel engaged and no power supplied from the motor. Neglecting friction and the rotational inertia of the wheels, find (a) the speed of the car at the bottom of the slope, and (b) the angular acceleration of the flywheel at the bottom of the slope.
Relevant Equations
T=Ia
I have solved part a using the conservation of energy, getting a (correct) answer of 47.9 km/h, but I am unable to make headway with part b. Based on the flywheel rotating at 237rev/s when the car is moving at 86.5 km/h, I obtained omega = (237*2pi)v/24=62v. Differentiating both sides should give alpha = 62a. But that will yield alpha = 62*g*sin5=53 rad/s^2,when the correct answer is 3.65 rad/s^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello cpgp, :welcome: !

So clearly, the acceleration is not equal to the acceleration you use -- which would be correct if the flywheel was not engaged ...

cpgp said:
But that will yield alpha = 62*g*sin5=53 rad/s^2

You differentiated both sides. There is still a dv/dt (i.e. the acceleration a) on the right. Much as you devised a relation between the car’s linear velocity v and the flywheel’s angular velocity ##\omega##, you have now derived a relation between the car’s linear acceleration a and the flywheel’s angular acceleration ##\alpha##. I don’t know if that will prove to be useful, but it is correct. It just isn’t the answer.

BvU said:
Hello cpgp, :welcome: !

So clearly, the acceleration is not equal to the acceleration you use -- which would be correct if the flywheel was not engaged ...
So, then it should be given by ma = I*alpha/r + mg sin5?

This gives me alpha=(g/r)sin5/(1-I/(mr^2)). Substituting the values of I=2.83, r=0.54, m=19.4, I get alpha=3.17 rad/s^2, but even that is not the right answer.

cpgp said:
ma = I*alpha/r + mg sin5?
What is r here?
Anyway, this does not look right. It says the car's acceleration exceeds g sin5°.

haruspex said:
What is r here?
Anyway, this does not look right. It says the car's acceleration exceeds g sin5°.
R is the radius of the flywheel.

Last edited:
cpgp said:

But is the radius of the flywheel the lever arm that relates torque to the applied force?

No.
ma = I*alpha/r + mg sin5
1. Has the wrong sign
2. ma + I*alpha/r = mg sin5?
means the rim of the flywheel is scraping over the ground

You have to connect a and αα somehow -- but you did already ! And correctly.

I've typed up my work a little better.

Relation derived in part a:
$$\omega = \frac{237\times 2\pi}{24}\times v$$
$$\omega = 62v$$

For part b:
$$\Sigma F = ma$$
$$ma = \frac \tau r + mg\sin(5)$$
$$ma = \frac {I\alpha} r +mg\sin5$$
$$ma = \frac {Ia} {r^2} +mg\sin5$$
$$a(m-\frac I {r^2}) = mg\sin5$$
$$a=\frac{mg\sin5}{m-\frac I {r^2}}$$
$$a=\frac{702.8}{812.1}$$
$$a=0.8654 ms^{-2}$$

From the relation derived in part a:
$$\omega = 62v$$
$$\frac{d\omega}{dt} = \frac d{dt}(62v)$$
$$\alpha = 62a$$
$$\alpha = 62\times0.8654$$
$$\alpha = 53.7 rad /s^{2}$$

BvU said:
No. You have to connect a and ##\alpha## somehow.
I have shown that in my post above

cpgp said:
I have shown that in my post above
edited my post. What does it mean for a ?

BvU said:
2. ma + I*alpha/r = mg sin5?
That makes sense, but I still only get alpha = 52.4 rad/s^2.

unfortunately r is unknown.

Summarizing: you have calculated that constant acceleration ##a## yields 13.31 m/s in 1500 m. With simple SUVAT you find ##a## (which is NOT ##g\sin\theta## !) and hence ##\alpha## !

cpgp said:
Not according to your finding that
cpgp said:
alpha = 62a

BvU said:
unfortunately r is unknown.

Summarizing: you have calculated that constant acceleration ##a## yields 13.31 m/s in 1500 m. With simple SUVAT you find ##a## (which is NOT ##g\sin\theta## !) and hence ##\alpha## !
Thanks a lot, that has given me the answer!

Likes BvU

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly the rotational speed of an object is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration involves the change in rotational motion, while linear acceleration involves the change in linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in units of radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in units of meters per second squared.

3. How do you calculate the angular acceleration of a flywheel?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time. To calculate the angular acceleration of a flywheel, you would need to measure the change in its rotational velocity over a certain time period.

4. What factors can affect the angular acceleration of a flywheel?

The angular acceleration of a flywheel can be affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the flywheel, the amount of force applied to it, and any external forces acting on it.

5. Why is it important to find the angular acceleration of a flywheel?

Finding the angular acceleration of a flywheel is important in understanding its rotational motion and how it responds to different forces. It can also help in designing and optimizing flywheels for various applications, such as energy storage or stabilization of rotational motion.