Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the area between 3 functions

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    Hi all, I've been attempting this problem for hours and I believe I am using the correct method, but I keep on getting the wrong answer, ANY help as to what I am doing wrong is greatly appreciated.

The question is:

Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.
    2y = 3sqrt(x) , y = 5, and 2y + 4x = 7

I've plotted the graph, and found the intersection points, with are : x= -3/4 , x=1 x= 11.11111

I integrated with respect to X (I know that y would be easier, but I'm not too sure how to do that yet), therefore, the areas were:

step 1: int. between -3/4 to 1 with the function to be integrate being : 5-(-2x+7) and

step 2: int. between 1 to 11.11111111 with the function to be integrated being : 5-([3sqrt(x)]/2)

I integrated step 1 (2x-2, integrate that, and I got x^2-2x), when plugging in the numbers, I got -3.0625

I integrated step 2, and got 5x-x^3/2, when plugging in the numbers, I got 14.51851852

I added both areas and got 11.45601.

What am I doing wrong?..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Divide 7 by two, too.

ehild

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    ahh, I can't believe I missed that. :X!! thanks a million ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook