1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the area between 3 functions

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    Hi all, I've been attempting this problem for hours and I believe I am using the correct method, but I keep on getting the wrong answer, ANY help as to what I am doing wrong is greatly appreciated.

The question is:

Sketch the region enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.
    2y = 3sqrt(x) , y = 5, and 2y + 4x = 7

I've plotted the graph, and found the intersection points, with are : x= -3/4 , x=1 x= 11.11111

I integrated with respect to X (I know that y would be easier, but I'm not too sure how to do that yet), therefore, the areas were:

step 1: int. between -3/4 to 1 with the function to be integrate being : 5-(-2x+7) and

step 2: int. between 1 to 11.11111111 with the function to be integrated being : 5-([3sqrt(x)]/2)

I integrated step 1 (2x-2, integrate that, and I got x^2-2x), when plugging in the numbers, I got -3.0625

I integrated step 2, and got 5x-x^3/2, when plugging in the numbers, I got 14.51851852

I added both areas and got 11.45601.

What am I doing wrong?..

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide 7 by two, too.

ehild

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    ahh, I can't believe I missed that. :X!! thanks a million ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook