Finding the Area of a Polar Function: Are Your Limits of Integration Correct?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Bryon
Messages
98
Reaction score
0
My question here is do I have the correct limits of integration? At first I thought it would be from pi/10 to 3pi/10 but I have a feeling that those are incorrect.


Homework Statement



Find the area of one petal of the polar function r(x) = cos(5x)

Homework Equations



integral[alpa to beta] .5* r(x)^2dx

The Attempt at a Solution




cos(5x) = 0 when x = (1/5)*pi/2 = pi/10
This means that the limits of integration are pi/10 and -pi/10

integral (.5*cos(5x))dx = 1/4x - (sin(5x)/20) from pi/10 to -pi/10
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bryon said:
My question here is do I have the correct limits of integration? At first I thought it would be from pi/10 to 3pi/10 but I have a feeling that those are incorrect.


Homework Statement



Find the area of one petal of the polar function r(x) = cos(5x)

Homework Equations



integral[alpa to beta] .5* r(x)^2dx

The Attempt at a Solution




cos(5x) = 0 when x = (1/5)*pi/2 = pi/10
This means that the limits of integration are pi/10 and -pi/10
Yes, these are correct.
Bryon said:
integral (.5*cos(5x))dx = 1/4x - (sin(5x)/20) from pi/10 to -pi/10

You have it in your relevant equations, but you forgot to square r(x) in the integral just above. Or maybe you just forgot to put in the exponent in your integrand.
 
Oops...sorry cos(5x)^2 = (1+cos(5x))/2

Thanks! for some reason I was thinking it was between pi/10 and 3pi/10.
 
Bryon said:
Thanks! for some reason I was thinking it was between pi/10 and 3pi/10.

That would work too. :)