Finding the Center of Mass for a Uniform Plate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
AnkhUNC
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What are (a) the x coordinate and (b) the y coordinate of the center of mass for the uniform plate shown in Fig. if L = 5.0 cm?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c09/fig09_38.gif


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I think I should set this up as four different rectangles with a center particle mass. So this leads to Total = 110cm, xcom = ((20(10))+(30(-5))+(20(5))+(40(5))/110

Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You must consider the plates as rectangular lamina and first calculate their individual moment of inertia using ML^2/12.
 
AnkhUNC said:
Total = 110cm, xcom = ((20(10))+(30(-5))+(20(5))+(40(5))/110

Is this correct?

Hi Ankh! :smile:

First - common-sense - it's much easier if you use L throughout your calculations, and only put L = 5 right at the end - that way you're much less likely to make a mistake! :smile:

110 is correct.

hmm … you think I was kidding about mistakes? … try L^2 instead of L! :smile: