Finding the coefficient of friction

In summary, a 100 kg bale of hay fell off a truck and slid 100m before coming to rest. Assuming constant acceleration, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the road and the hay can be calculated using the formula F=u x N. The solution involves finding the acceleration and using Newton's second law to find the force that acted upon the hay. The initial velocity of 24.4 m/s was incorrectly converted to a force, but the correct solution can be found using the correct calculations.
Singdasorrow

Homework Statement

A 100 kg bale of hay falls off a truck traveling along a level road at 24.4 m/s. It lands flat on the road and slides 100m before coming to rest. Assume the acceleration is constant, compute the coefficeient of kinetic friction between the road and the hay.

Homework Equations

F=u x N
Sum of the forces horizontally (x) = 2440 N -f = ma (acceleration is a constant)
Sum of the forces Vertically (y) = N-W=O

The Attempt at a Solution

f= (2440)/(100a)
W= -980 so N= -980
now i plugged into f= u x N
(2440/100a)= u x -980
u= -.02a

Now i know the answer because i can see it in the back of the book, and this doesn't feel right. advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Singdasorrow said:
Now i know the answer because i can see it in the back of the book, and this doesn't feel right. advice?
Don't look in the back of the book? :smile:

Can you explain where your numbers come from? What's 2440N? It would appear to have the same digits as the initial velocity :confused: but I don't see a calculation behind it.

i made the initial velocity into a force. 24.4 m/s x 100kg =2440 N

When you get an answer that looks like the calibre of a bullet, you're probably right.

Singdasorrow said:
i made the initial velocity into a force. 24.4 m/s x 100kg =2440 N

Velocity is not force. Mass x Velocity is momentum, not force. They are quite different things.

Hint: Find the acceleration given the provided information. Then use Newton's second law to find the force that acted to produce that acceleration.

thank you so much! that made things so much easier for me <3

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. It is a dimensionless quantity and is represented by the symbol "μ".

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move an object across a surface by the weight of the object. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required to move the object, and W is the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, the type of material, and the presence of any lubricants. Additionally, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on whether the surfaces are in motion or at rest.

4. Why is finding the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining the amount of force needed to move an object across a surface. It is essential for engineers and scientists in designing and building structures and machines, as well as for predicting and preventing potential accidents or failures.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as determining the stopping distance of a vehicle, designing brakes for cars, and creating anti-slip surfaces for floors and shoes. It is also used in sports equipment, machinery, and materials testing to ensure safety and efficiency.