Finding the Compression of a Spring Using the Work-Energy Theorem

In summary: It's probably best not to revive really old threads like this, especially if the person you are responding to has not been active for years.
student34

Homework Statement

A 6.0kg box moving at 3.0m/s on a horizontal, frictionless surface runs into a light spring of force constant 75 N/cm. Use the work-energy theorem to find the maximum compression in the spring.

Homework Equations

W = K2 - K1

W = (1/2)*m*v^2 - (1/2)*m*vo^2

W = - (1/2)*k*x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

- (1/2)*k*x^2 = 0 - (1/2)*m*vo^2, where k = 75000N/m

x = ((m*v^2)/k)^(1/2) = ((6.0kg*(3m/s)^2)/75000N/m)^(1/2)

x = 0.027m

But the answer in the book is x = 0.085m. I just can't see what I am doing wrong unless my textbook is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your value for k.

Averki said:
Recheck your value for k.

Oh my god, thanks!

student34 said:

Homework Statement

A 6.0kg box moving at 3.0m/s on a horizontal, frictionless surface runs into a light spring of force constant 75 N/cm. Use the work-energy theorem to find the maximum compression in the spring.

Homework Equations

W = K2 - K1

W = (1/2)*m*v^2 - (1/2)*m*vo^2

W = - (1/2)*k*x^2

The Attempt at a Solution

- (1/2)*k*x^2 = 0 - (1/2)*m*vo^2, where k = 75000N/m

x = ((m*v^2)/k)^(1/2) = ((6.0kg*(3m/s)^2)/75000N/m)^(1/2)

x = 0.027m

But the answer in the book is x = 0.085m. I just can't see what I am doing wrong unless my textbook is wrong.
It's your conversion of N/cm to N/m sir. It is only 7,500 instead of 75,000. But thanks so much for this

semaj nayr said:
It's your conversion of N/cm to N/m sir. It is only 7,500 instead of 75,000. But thanks so much for this
:welcome:

Note that this thread is nine years old.

1. What is the work-energy theorem?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that the work done by all the forces acting on an object will result in a change in the object's speed or direction.

2. How can the work-energy theorem be used to find the compression of a spring?

If a spring is compressed, it has potential energy stored in it. Using the work-energy theorem, the work done by the force compressing the spring can be equated to the change in the spring's potential energy. This can then be used to calculate the compression of the spring.

3. What factors affect the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring is affected by the force applied to it, the spring constant, and the distance the spring is compressed. The material and shape of the spring can also play a role in its compression.

4. Can the work-energy theorem be applied to a spring in any orientation?

Yes, the work-energy theorem can be applied to a spring in any orientation. The force and displacement must be in the same direction for the work done to be calculated accurately.

5. Are there any limitations to using the work-energy theorem to find the compression of a spring?

One limitation is that the work-energy theorem assumes all the work done is converted into kinetic energy. In reality, some energy may be lost to other factors such as friction. Additionally, the spring must be compressed slowly and carefully for the calculation to be accurate.