1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the direction of acceleration in degrees

1. May 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Forces of 10.6 N north, 19.1 N east, and 16.0 N south are simultaneously applied to a 3.62 kg mass as it rests on an air table. What's the direction of acceleration in degrees (Take east to be 0 degrees and counterclockwise to be positive.) "

Using components, I already figured out the magnitude of acceleration.
    a=5.48m/s/s
    Fnet=19.8N --> broken into components: F(x)=19.1N, F(y)=-5.4N

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet=ma
    Trig ratios for sin and cos

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using components, I figured out the total force in the x and y directions, and then used the pythagorean theorem to calculate the Fnet.

To find acceleration, I then isolated for a = Fnet/m = 5.48m/s/s

However, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the direction of the acceleration, and I don't know why! It's simple trig ratios.

cos(thetha) = F(x)/Fnet = 19.1/19.8
    (theta) = 15.3 degrees
    Its positive because the counterclockwise direction is positive.

Am I doing it wrong because they are asking for the direction of accleration, and I'm using the direction of Fnet? I don't see how I can use acceleration in the trig ratios though, since acceleration is only in the direction of Fnet... not the components on the x and y axis.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need Fnet to find the angle. Use tan(theta)=F(y)/F(x). Using the rounded value of Fnet gives you a fairly large error in this case. The direction of the acceleration is the same as that of the force. So you have the angle relative to the x (east-west) axis. Now look at the force vector. Is that 15 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise from east?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook