1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Distance Between 2 Lines and One Orthogonal Line

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let L1 be the line (0,4,5) + (1,2,-1)t. Let L2 be the line (-10,9,17) + (-11,3,1)t.

Find the line L passing through and orthogonal to L1 and L2.

What is the distance between L1 and L2?

2. Relevant equations
    Vector Projection Equation: V • W/|W|

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think finding the equation is the more difficult part of the question, so I'll begin by finding the distance. First, I find a vector orthogonal to both lines by cross product. This vector is <5,10,25>, which I reduce to <1,2,5>.

Using the points given in the definitions of lines, I subtract to get another vector, <10,-5,22>.

By the equation for vector projections, <10,-5,22> • <1,2,5> = 110, which I divide by the magnitude of <1,2,5>. So, the distance equals 110/sqrt(30).

Now, I want the equation for this orthogonal line to be in the form (a,b,c) + <1,2,5>*s, where (a,b,c) is a point on the line. By multiplying out,

xs: a + s
    ys: b +2s
    zs: c + 5s

I suppose I want to solve for s in terms of t. I know

xt1: t
    yt1: 4 + 2t
    zt1: 5 - t

So,

t = a + s, then....

I think this whole system of equations will turn into a large mess. Is there a simpler way to approach this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

verty

Homework Helper

The way I thought of this was, you have a line L3 that intersects L1 and L2, and L3 has the direction vector of L1 x L2.

So there is a point P1 on L1 and a point P2 on L2 such that P2 - P1 = (L1 x L2)t. This is a 3-vector equation in 3 variables which should be easy to solve using linear algebra.

Learning things like this, I always like to find the shortest way of describing the structure of the problem.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    I haven't taken any linear algebra classes, so I don't know the method that you're referring to. Could you please demonstrate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook