Line orthogonal to a plane with variable parameter

In summary, the homework equation states that the plane is orthogonal to the line if the normal vector and directional vector are parallel, and the scalar product of the norm is the product of the norm of the two vectors. To solve for ##b##, you need to find the equation of a plane that is perpendicular to the line and has the same normal vector and directional vector as the original line.
Kernul

Homework Statement

I have to find for which values of the real parameter ##b## the following plane is orthogonal to the following line:
##\pi : 5x + (2b - 1)y - (1 + 8b)z + 3 = 0##
##s : \begin{cases}
x + z - 4 = 0 \\
x - 3y + z + 2
\end{cases}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For these two to be orthogonal, it means that the plane normal vector and the line directional vector must be parallel to each other, so linearly dependent. This also means that their scalar product is exactly the product of their norm, since the ##cos## of their angle would be ##1##. At this point I thought I just had to equal the two and find which ##b## satify this equation.
##\vec n_{\pi} * \vec v_s = ||n_{\pi}|| ||v_s||##
Knowing that ##\vec n_{\pi} = (5, 2b - 1, -1 - 8b)## and ##\vec v_s = (3, 0, -3)##, with numbers we have:
##(5 * 3) + ((2b - 1) * 0) + ((-1 - 8b) * (-3)) = \sqrt{5^2 + (2b - 1)^2 + (-1 - 8b)^2} \sqrt{3^2 + 0^2 + (-3)^2}##
After various calculations I end up with this:
##18 + 24b = \sqrt{68b^2 + 12b + 26} \sqrt{18}##
And here I'm not sure anymore if I'm doing it right. Is the way I'm trying to do it correct? Do I have to use another method of finding out?
The thing is that from the two vectors I noticed that if you put ##b = \frac{1}{2}## you get a parallel vector (##\vec n_{\pi} = (5, 0, -5)##)to the one of the line. But I've arrived at this only by looking at it, without a "real method", so I can't actually use this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, at first I suppose was ##x-3y+z+2=0## ... second in general two vectors ##v_{1},v_{2}## are parallel when ##v_{1}=\alpha v_{2}## for some ##\alpha## ...
I suggest you to study this system with three equation and two value ## b,\alpha## to find ...

Ssnow

Ssnow said:
Hi, at first I suppose was ##x-3y+z+2=0## ... second in general two vectors ##v_{1},v_{2}## are parallel when ##v_{1}=\alpha v_{2}## for some ##\alpha## ...
I suggest you to study this system with three equation and two value ## b,\alpha## to find ...

Ssnow
Yes, sorry, it's ## = 0##.
But isn't ##b## the ##\alpha## I'm searching for?
And how would the system look like? I have to multiply ##\alpha## to both the equations of the line?

I give another hint, if solving the system you can find ##b## and ##\alpha## as before then ##v_{1}## and ##v_{2}## can be parallel for this ##b##. The system in vectorial form is:

## (3,0,-3)=\alpha (5,2b-1,-1-8b)##

Likes Kernul
Oh! Now I get it! This system:
##\begin{cases}
5\alpha = 3 \\
2b\alpha - \alpha = 0 \\
-\alpha - 8b\alpha = -3
\end{cases}##
And I found what I had found before while noticing the two vectors:
##\begin{cases}
\alpha = \frac{3}{5} \\
b = \frac{1}{2} \\
\end{cases}##
Thank you very much!

Likes Ssnow

1. What is a line orthogonal to a plane with a variable parameter?

A line orthogonal to a plane with a variable parameter is a line that is perpendicular to the plane and also has a variable parameter in its equation. This means that the line will intersect the plane at a right angle and the value of the parameter will change the position of the line relative to the plane.

2. How is the equation of a line orthogonal to a plane with a variable parameter determined?

The equation of a line orthogonal to a plane with a variable parameter can be determined by taking the normal vector of the plane and using it as the direction vector of the line. The variable parameter can be represented as a scalar multiple of this direction vector, and the position of the line can be determined by a point on the line.

3. What is the significance of a variable parameter in a line orthogonal to a plane?

The variable parameter in a line orthogonal to a plane allows for the position of the line to be changed relative to the plane. This means that the line can be translated along the normal vector of the plane, while still maintaining its perpendicular relationship with the plane.

4. How does the variable parameter affect the orientation of the line orthogonal to a plane?

The variable parameter does not affect the orientation of the line orthogonal to a plane. The orientation is determined by the normal vector of the plane, which is always perpendicular to the plane. The variable parameter only affects the position of the line relative to the plane.

5. Can a line be orthogonal to a plane with more than one variable parameter?

Yes, a line can be orthogonal to a plane with more than one variable parameter. In this case, the line will have a position that is dependent on multiple parameters and will still maintain a perpendicular relationship with the plane. This is often seen in three-dimensional space, where a line can be orthogonal to a plane with two variable parameters.