Finding the distance given the intital velocity and the coefficient of friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 13K views
lenalee.9520
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A car is traveling at 15.5m/s travels on a surface where μ=0.1. The driver sees a boy run into the road 125 m ahead. She immedietly applies the brakes, locking the wheel, and skids to a stop. Where will the car be when it stops? (i.e:Will it hit the boy?)

I know I should start by figuring out the acceleration and then use

Vfinal^2=V inital^2 + 2ad

But, I am having trouble finding the acceleration.

Homework Equations


Fnet=ma
Ffriction= μFN
Vfinal^2=V inital^2 + 2ad


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi lenalee.9520! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
lenalee.9520 said:
… But, I am having trouble finding the acceleration.

call the mass "m"

then find the force, and divide by m :wink:

(the force will be µ times … ? :smile:)
 
Well I ended up with

Ffriction= -mgµ

Is this correct?
 
Last edited:
call the mass "m" ! :rolleyes:

(it'll cancel out in the end)
 
Ffriction= -mgµ

Is what I got...
But how does it cancel out??
 
You could identify it as an energy related problem.
 
Last edited:
azizlwl said:
You should identify it as an energy related problem.

Well, my teacher told the class that we should only need equations from the kinematics and dynamics unit, so I've been trying to stick to those things. (I have to turn this in, so I would like to follow his instructions as much as possible, for the sake of my mark)
 
As tiny-tim said, call the mass 'm'
Then if you apply force to it, what is the acceleration?
 
[itex]\sum[/itex]F = ma = [itex]\mu[/itex]kmg
Once you solve for the acceleration, the rest is just a 'timeless' kinematics problem.
Vf2 = 0 = Vo2 + 2aΔx
 
lenalee.9520 said:
Ffriction= -mgµ

Is what I got...
But how does it cancel out??

acceleration = Ffriction/m ? :wink: