• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Finding the efficiency of an engine given energy input, energy wasted.

• Thread starter Dez1
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
An inventor claims to have developed an engine which takes in 1.1x108J of heat energy at 400K, and rejects 5.0x107J of heat energy at 200K. Would you advise investing in this project? Explain your answer.

2. Homework Equations
W = Q1 – Q2
η = W/Q1 = 1 – Q2/Q1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
η=1-(Q2/Q1)
=1-(5*10^7/1.1*108)
=0.54

Which means the inventor is claiming 54% efficiency. In reality such an engine would be in the region of 30% efficiency or less.Therefore I would not suggest investing in this project."

I think my answer seems too short, which means I'm probably doing it wrong. Also, the temperatures probably have some relevance to the solution so I'm probably using the wrong equation(s).

rude man

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement
An inventor claims to have developed an engine which takes in 1.1x108J of heat energy at 400K, and rejects 5.0x107J of heat energy at 200K. Would you advise investing in this project? Explain your answer.

2. Homework Equations
W = Q1 – Q2
η = W/Q1 = 1 – Q2/Q1

3. The Attempt at a Solution
η=1-(Q2/Q1)
=1-(5*10^7/1.1*108)
=0.54

Which means the inventor is claiming 54% efficiency. In reality such an engine would be in the region of 30% efficiency or less.Therefore I would not suggest investing in this project."

I think my answer seems too short, which means I'm probably doing it wrong. Also, the temperatures probably have some relevance to the solution so I'm probably using the wrong equation(s).
Or simply consider the net entropy change of the system.