1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of a curve

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The tangent of any point that belongs to a curve, cuts Y axis in such a way, that the cut off segment in Y axis is twice as big as the X value of the point. Find the equation of the curve, if point (1,4) is part of it.

2. Relevant equations

The ultimate solution is [itex]y = x(4-lnx^2)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This might be a little confusing, so I'll try to clarify the situation: assuming for example, that point (1,4) is part of the curve, if we try to find the tangent of the curve at that point, we know that it will cut Y axis where y=2x=2. So in that case the tangent is a line going through (1,4) and (0,2).

I guess we get [itex]y = x(4-lnx^2)[/itex] when we put x=1 and y=4 into the general solution, which gives us the specific constant value, then insert the constant value into the general solution to get the final solution. But I don't know how to obtain the general solution. Could you please help me solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The curve is y=f(x)
    In general: the slope of the tangent at point x=q is f'(q)
    The equation of the line is y=f'(q)x+c(q) so that c(q) is the y intercept.
    The problem statement is saying that c(q)=2q... which, in general, will be a function of q.

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3
    So we have [itex]y=y'x+2x[/itex] which is the same as [itex]y'-y/x=-2[/itex] which is a linear differential equation, solving it by using the Bernoulli method y=uv, we get the general solution [itex]y=x(C-lnx^2)[/itex]. Inserting x=1, y=4 gives C=4, thus the final answer is [itex]y=x(4-lnx^2)[/itex].
    You're awesome, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted