1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of state and internal energy of a given gas.

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Consider a gas contained in volume V at temperature T. The gas is composed of N distinguishable particles at zero rest mass, so that the energy E and momentum p are related by E = pc. The number of single-particle energy states in the range p to p + dp is [tex] 4\pi Vp^2 dp [/tex]. Find the equation of state and the internal energy of the gas and compare with an ordinary (ideal?) gas.

In how I understand the problem, you must integrate [tex] 4\pi Vp^2 dp [/tex] and [tex] E = pc [/tex] to get the partition function [tex] Z(E) [/tex] then use the entropy [tex] S = k_b ln Z [/tex] to get the equation of state given by

[tex] \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_{N, E} = \frac{P}{T} [/tex]

and the internal energy by,

[tex] \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial E}\right)_{N, V} = \frac{1}{T}. [/tex]

Did I understand the problem correctly?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial E}\right)_{N, V} = \frac{1}{T}[/tex]

for the second equation? Looks good.

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    Yes you're right. Sorry for the mistake. And what I meant was you must integrate [tex] 4\pi Vp^2 dp [/tex] and use E = pc to express the integral in terms of [tex]E[/tex] instead of [tex]p[/tex]. Thank you, I hope I got it correct then. What would be the bounds of the integral?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?