Equation of state for a real gas

In summary, the author's work involved solving a problem in thermodynamics involving integrating over state variables, discovering a relationship between pressure and minus partial F wrt V at constant T, and providing a link to Lord Jestocost's post.
WWCY
Homework Statement
The equation of state for some gas is ##P(V-b) = RT)## (V is the volume occupied by a mole of gas), show that the internal energy of this gas is a function of temperature only.

My work leads to the wrong answer, some assistance in pointing out my mistake is greatly appreciated!
Relevant Equations
Real gas equations
My work was as follows:

The first law states ##dU = TdS - PdV##, and thus
$$p =- (\partial U/\partial V)| _S$$
$$U = -RT \ln(V-b) + f(S)$$
To determine ##f(S)##, I reasoned that in the ideal gas limit of ##b = 0##, ##U## should take the form of the ideal gas' molar internal energy ##\frac{3}{2} RT##. So I set ##b = 0## and compare the expressions for energy in the ideal gas limit to obtain
$$f(S) = \frac{3}{2}RT + RT \ln (V)$$
However, inserting this into the internal energy expression for the real gas gives
$$U = \frac{3}{2}RT + RT \ln \big(\frac{V}{V-b} \big)$$
which doesn't seem to be independent of V.

What have I done incorrectly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe, it’s better to use the Thermodynamic Equation of State:

##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right) _{T} = T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right) _{V}-p##

Hi, thank you for your response.

Lord Jestocost said:
Maybe, it’s better to use the Thermodynamic Equation of State:

##\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right) _{T} = T\left(\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right) _{V}-p##

I don't quite get what you mean by this, and I still don't get why my method was wrong. Do you mind elaborating? Thank you.Edit: And also, why does the "correct" method involve performing an integral using ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V} \Big)_T## to obtain ##F##, rather than using the first law to obtain ##U## directly?

Last edited:
Your initial integration is incorrect because, at constant S, T is a function of V.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Thanks for your reply,

Chestermiller said:
Your initial integration is incorrect because, at constant S, T is a function of V.

In this case, how do I discern that constant entropy processes mean that T is a function of V?

Also, is there a way to find out in general whether one thermodynamic variable varies with another variable when some thermodynamic variable is kept constant?

And finally, is the reason why ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V} \Big)_T## was correct due to the fact that we have already defined ##T## to be independent of changes with ##V##?

Thank you for your patience.

WWCY said:
Thanks for your reply,
In this case, how do I discern that constant entropy processes mean that T is a function of V?

Thank you for your patience.
$$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV\tag{1}$$so, at constant entropy (dS=0), $$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_S=-\frac{\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T}{\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V}$$
Also, is there a way to find out in general whether one thermodynamic variable varies with another variable when some thermodynamic variable is kept constant?

And finally, is the reason why ##p = -\Big(\frac{\partial F}{\partial V} \Big)_T## was correct due to the fact that we have already defined ##T## to be independent of changes with ##V##?
The best way to solve this problem is to substitute Eqn. 1 into your original equation for dU. This leads to the relationship that Lord Jestocost posted.

Last edited:
Likes WWCY and Lord Jestocost
Chestermiller said:
$$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV\tag{1}$$so, at constant entropy (dS=0), $$\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_S=-\frac{\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T}{\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V}$$

The best way to solve this problem is to substitute Eqn. 1 into your original equation for dU. This leads to the relationship that Lord Jestocost posted.
Ah I see it now, thank you both!

Just a quick question on the method I initially posted about... If for some reason I need to work with those types of integrals, does that mean I have to be extra careful about whether or not the state variables in my integrands are functions of other state variables? (e.g: ##T## was a function of ##V## with ##S## kept constant here).Also, is this reasoning correct?

WWCY said:

WWCY said:
Just a quick question on the method I initially posted about... If for some reason I need to work with those types of integrals, does that mean I have to be extra careful about whether or not the state variables in my integrands are functions of other state variables? (e.g: ##T## was a function of ##V## with ##S## kept constant here).
Sure.
Also, is this reasoning correct?
To see how pressure is equal to minus partial F wrt V at constant T, see my response in your other thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/thermodynamics-partial-derivatives.969924/#post-6160852

1. What is the equation of state for a real gas?

The equation of state for a real gas is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a gas under different conditions, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. It is used to predict how a gas will behave under various circumstances.

2. How is the equation of state for a real gas different from the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, while the equation of state for a real gas takes into account the volume of the gas particles and their interactions. This makes the equation of state more accurate for describing the behavior of real gases.

3. What factors affect the equation of state for a real gas?

The equation of state for a real gas is affected by the type of gas, the pressure, the temperature, and the volume. These factors can change the behavior of the gas and therefore alter the equation of state.

4. How is the equation of state for a real gas derived?

The equation of state for a real gas is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which describes the behavior of gas particles in terms of their motion and collisions. It takes into account the volume of the gas particles and the forces between them to create a more accurate model for real gases.

5. Why is the equation of state for a real gas important?

The equation of state for a real gas is important because it allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of gases in different conditions. This is crucial for many industries, such as in the design of engines and other machinery that use gases, as well as in the study of atmospheric gases and their impact on the environment.