1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the formula for the fibunacci sequence

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1 If I am given the function [tex]\frac{1}{-x^2-x+1} = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} F_{j} x^{j}[/tex]

Which discribes a sequence of fibunacci numbers 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21......

Find the formula for the fibunacci sequence for n>=2 and where [tex]F_j = F_{j-1}+F_{j-2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the recusive relation can be written as [tex]F_j = \alpha_1(r_1)^j + \alpha_2 (r_2)^j[/tex]

With the inital conditions [tex]F_0 = F_1 = 1[/tex]

Since the poles of the function are [tex]r_1 = \frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]r_2 = \frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}[/tex]

which gives me the expression [tex]F_j = \alpha_1(\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2})^n + \alpha_2 (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}})^n[/tex]

so this gives me [tex]F_0 = \alpha_1 + \alpha_2 = 1[/tex]

and [tex]F_1 = \alpha_1(\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}) + \alpha_2 (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}}) = 1[/tex] and I end up with

[tex]\alpha_1, \alpha_2 = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

and this j >= 2 then the formula for the jth fibunacci number must

[tex]F_j = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2})^{j+1} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}})^{j+1}[/tex]

How is that HallsoftIvy?

Susanne

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You mean [tex]F_n= F_{n-1}+ F_{n-2}[/tex]

Okay, so its just a matter of finding [tex]r_1[/tex] and [tex]r_2[/tex]. If [tex]F_n= r^n[/tex] the equation [tex]F_n= F_{n-1}+ F_{n-2}[/tex] becomes [tex]r^n= r^{n-1}+ r^{n-2}[/tex]. Dividing that equation by [tex]r^{n-1}[/tex] gives [tex]r^2= r+ 1[/tex]. What are the roots of that equation?

No fair! You edited and added your solution while I was responding!

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    Sorry HallsoftIvy :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook