Finding the formula for the fibunacci sequence

In summary, the function describes a sequence of Fibonacci numbers. F_0 = 1, F_1 = 1+1, F_2 = 2, and so on. If n>=2, the formula for the Fibonacci number for jth is F_j = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2})^{j+1} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}})^{j+1} where r_1 and r_2 are the poles of the function.
Susanne217
1 If I am given the function [tex]\frac{1}{-x^2-x+1} = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} F_{j} x^{j}[/tex]

Which discribes a sequence of fibunacci numbers 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21...

Find the formula for the fibunacci sequence for n>=2 and where [tex]F_j = F_{j-1}+F_{j-2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the recusive relation can be written as [tex]F_j = \alpha_1(r_1)^j + \alpha_2 (r_2)^j[/tex]

With the inital conditions [tex]F_0 = F_1 = 1[/tex]

Since the poles of the function are [tex]r_1 = \frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]r_2 = \frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}[/tex]

which gives me the expression [tex]F_j = \alpha_1(\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2})^n + \alpha_2 (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}})^n[/tex]

so this gives me [tex]F_0 = \alpha_1 + \alpha_2 = 1[/tex]

and [tex]F_1 = \alpha_1(\frac{\sqrt{5}-1}{2}) + \alpha_2 (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}}) = 1[/tex] and I end up with

[tex]\alpha_1, \alpha_2 = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/tex]

and this j >= 2 then the formula for the jth fibunacci number must

[tex]F_j = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}(\frac{\sqrt{5}+1}{2})^{j+1} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} (\frac{-(\sqrt{5}+1)}{2}})^{j+1}[/tex]

How is that HallsoftIvy?

Susanne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Susanne217 said:
1 If I am given the function [tex]\frac{1}{-x^2-x+1} = \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} F_{j} x^{j}[/tex]

Which discribes a sequence of fibunacci numbers 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21...

Find the formula for the fibunacci sequence for n>=2 and where [tex]F_j = F_{n-1}+F_{n-2}[/tex]

You mean [tex]F_n= F_{n-1}+ F_{n-2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the recusive relation can be written as [tex]F_n = \alpha_1(r_1)^n + \alpha_2 (r_2)^n[/tex]
Okay, so its just a matter of finding [tex]r_1[/tex] and [tex]r_2[/tex]. If [tex]F_n= r^n[/tex] the equation [tex]F_n= F_{n-1}+ F_{n-2}[/tex] becomes [tex]r^n= r^{n-1}+ r^{n-2}[/tex]. Dividing that equation by [tex]r^{n-1}[/tex] gives [tex]r^2= r+ 1[/tex]. What are the roots of that equation?

No fair! You edited and added your solution while I was responding!

HallsofIvy said:
You mean [tex]F_n= F_{n-1}+ F_{n-2}[/tex]

Okay, so its just a matter of finding [tex]r_1[/tex] and [tex]r_2[/tex]. If [tex]F_n= r^n[/tex] the equation [tex]F_n= F_{n-1}+ F_{n-2}[/tex] becomes [tex]r^n= r^{n-1}+ r^{n-2}[/tex]. Dividing that equation by [tex]r^{n-1}[/tex] gives [tex]r^2= r+ 1[/tex]. What are the roots of that equation?

No fair! You edited and added your solution while I was responding!

Sorry HallsoftIvy :)

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical pattern where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. It is named after Leonardo Pisano, also known as Fibonacci, who introduced the sequence to the Western world in the 13th century.

2. What is the formula for the Fibonacci sequence?

The formula for the Fibonacci sequence is Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2, where Fn represents the nth term in the sequence and Fn-1 and Fn-2 are the two preceding terms.

3. How can I find the formula for the Fibonacci sequence?

There are multiple ways to find the formula for the Fibonacci sequence, but one common method is by using the concept of recursion. This involves breaking down the sequence into smaller parts and finding a pattern that can be used to generate the next term. Another approach is by using the Binet's formula, which involves using the golden ratio to find the value of each term in the sequence.

4. Why is the Fibonacci sequence important?

The Fibonacci sequence has many applications in mathematics and nature. It can be used to model the growth of populations, the branching of trees, and the breeding of rabbits. It also has connections to other mathematical concepts such as the golden ratio, which appears in many natural phenomena and has been used in art and architecture.

5. What are some interesting facts about the Fibonacci sequence?

There are several interesting facts about the Fibonacci sequence. For instance, if you divide any term in the sequence by the one before it, the result will get closer to the golden ratio, which is approximately 1.618. The ratio of consecutive terms in the sequence also approaches the golden ratio as the terms get larger. Additionally, the Fibonacci sequence can be extended to negative numbers, resulting in a symmetrical pattern known as the negative Fibonacci spiral.