Finding the G.S.(for equal roots) of the Euler-Cauchy diff. equation

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation using the trial solution method. The correct trial solution was substituted into the original equation to obtain the auxiliary equation, which was solved for the general solution. The mistake in the solution attempt was identified and corrected.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

[tex]x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ax\frac{dy}{dx}+by=0[/tex]

show that if there is one real double root of the aux. eq'n show that the G.S. is given by

[tex]y=c_1x^{n_1}+c_2x^{n_1}ln(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Assume the trial solution [itex]y=x^n[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] y=x^n
\frac{dy}{dx}=nx^{n-1}
\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=n(n-1)x^{n-2}

=> n(n-1)x^n + anx^n +bx^n =n^2-(a-1)n+b=0 (Aux. Eq'n)[/tex]

for equal roots [tex](a-1)^2-4b=0[/tex]

therefore [tex]n=\frac{1-a}{2}[/tex]
hence one solution is [tex]y=x^\frac{1-a}{2}[/tex]

so the other solution is [tex]y=vx^\frac{1-a}{2}

\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dv}[dx}x^\frac{1-a}+ \frac{1-a}{2}Vx^\frac{-a-1}{2}
\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{d^2v}{dx^2}x^\frac{-1-a}{2} + (1-a)\frac{dv}{dx}x^\frac{-1-a}{2} -\frac{1-a^2}{4}vx^\frac{-a-3}{2}[/tex]

sub. into the diff. eq'n...(this is where I think I am wrong)
(This is what I get)
[tex]\frac{d^2v}{dx^2}x^\frac{3-a}{2} + \frac{dv}{dx}x^\frac{3-a}{2} +\frac{vx^\frac{1-a}{2}((a-1)^2+4b)}{4}[/tex]

Now I was hoping to get [itex](a-1)^2-4b[/itex] in the last term there so that it would be zero but I apparently did something wrong..where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question on this forum. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with your problem. Let's take a look at your solution attempt and see where you may have made a mistake.

First, you correctly assumed the trial solution y=x^n, which is a common method for solving differential equations. However, in your next step, you seem to have taken the derivative of this trial solution without substituting it into the original differential equation. This is where your mistake lies.

Here is a corrected version of your solution:

Assume the trial solution y=x^n

Substituting into the original differential equation, we get:

x^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+ax\frac{dy}{dx}+by=0

x^2n(n-1)x^{n-2}+axnx^{n-1}+bx^n=0

n(n-1)x^n+anx^n+bx^n=0

n^2-(a-1)n+b=0 (Aux. Eq'n)

For equal roots, we have (a-1)^2-4b=0

Solving for n, we get n=\frac{1-a}{2}

Therefore, the general solution is y=c_1x^\frac{1-a}{2}+c_2x^\frac{1-a}{2}ln(x)

I hope this helps clarify your solution. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Euler-Cauchy differential equation?

The Euler-Cauchy differential equation is a second-order linear differential equation of the form a2(x)y'' + a1(x)y' + a0(x)y = 0, where a2, a1, and a0 are functions of x. It is also known as the Cauchy-Euler equation or the homogeneous linear differential equation.

2. What does it mean to find the G.S. (general solution) of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation?

Finding the G.S. of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation means finding a solution that satisfies the equation for all possible values of x. This solution is called the general solution because it includes all possible solutions to the equation.

3. What is the process for finding the G.S. of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation?

The process for finding the G.S. of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation involves using the method of undetermined coefficients, where we assume a solution of the form y = xr and solve for the values of r that satisfy the equation. This will give us the general solution in terms of x and r.

4. What is the G.S. for equal roots of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation?

The G.S. for equal roots of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation is given by y = c1xr + c2xrln(x), where c1 and c2 are arbitrary constants and r is the repeated root.

5. How do you know if the roots of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation are equal?

The roots of the Euler-Cauchy differential equation are equal if the discriminant, D = a12 - 4a2a0, is equal to 0. If D = 0, then the equation has equal roots and the general solution will involve a logarithmic term.