Finding the Hamiltonian of this system

In summary, the Hamiltonian for this system is derived and it is shown that it does not represent the total energy of the system due to the explicit time dependence of the transformation equations from Cartesian coordinates to the generalized coordinates. Additionally, the energy will not be conserved due to the driving force from the moving support.
pondzo

Homework Statement

I am asked to find the Hamiltonian of a system with the following Lagrangian:

##L=\frac{m}{2}[l^2\dot\theta^2+\dot{\tilde{y}}^2+2l\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot{\theta}\sin{\theta}]-mg[\tilde{y}-l\cos{\theta}]##

Homework Equations

##H = \dot{q_i}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}-L=\dot{\theta}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}-L##

##p_i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}\implies p_{\theta}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##H = \dot{\theta}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}-L\\
~~~=\dot{\theta}[ml^2\dot{\theta}^2+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\sin{\theta}]-L\\
~~~=\frac{m}{2}[2l^2\dot{\theta}^2+2ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\dot{\theta}\sin{\theta}]-L\\
~~~=\frac{m}{2}[l^2\dot{\theta}-\dot{\tilde{y}}^2]+mg[\tilde{y}-l\cos{\theta}]\\\\##
##p_{\theta}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}=ml^2\dot{\theta}+ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\sin{\theta}\\
\implies \dot{\theta}=\frac{p_{\theta}-ml\dot{\tilde{y}}\sin{\theta}}{ml^2}\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~=\frac{p_{\theta}}{ml^2}-\frac{\dot{\tilde{y}}}{l}\sin{\theta}\\\\##
After plugging this into the above form of the Hamiltonian and a little simplifying I get:

##H=\frac{m}{2}[\frac{p_{\theta}^2}{m^2l^2}-\frac{2p_{\theta}\dot{\tilde{y}}}{ml}-\dot{\tilde{y}}^2\cos{\theta}^2]+mg[\tilde{y}-l\cos{\theta}]##

I would like to know if this is correct and in particular, if the method is correct.We have not been taught how to take the Legendre transformation of the Lagrangian to get the Hamiltonian so I am unsure of the first equation I have listed in "Relevant equations". Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That all looks good to me.

It's been a while since I did this, but it looks to me you have two generalized coordinates, ##\theta## and ##y## and you should also consider ##p_y##

Henryk said:
It's been a while since I did this, but it looks to me you have two generalized coordinates, ##\theta## and ##y## and you should also consider ##p_y##
The background information for the Lagrangian is not given here. This thread is a continuation of a recent thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...range-equation-for-a-special-pendulum.841136/
where ##y(t)## is given to be a specific function of time. So ##y## is not a degree of freedom.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, particularly TSny!

And the Hamiltonian will not be conserved in this case right ? We can use ##\frac{dH}{dt}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}## which comes out to something ugly and doesn't look like it will reduce to zero... alternatively we can just logically deduce that it won't be conserved since energy is being put into the system to force the support at a specific frequency?

The Hamiltonian does not always represent the total energy when the transformation equations from Cartesian coordinates to the generalized coordinates depend explicitly on on time. You can check that your Hamiltonian does not equal the total energy of the pendulum.

A separate question is whether or not the energy will be conserved. As you say, the driving of the pendulum by the moving support will cause the total energy to vary with time.

Likes pondzo

What is the Hamiltonian of a system?

The Hamiltonian of a system is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of the system, including both its kinetic and potential energies. It is a key concept in classical mechanics and is used to study the dynamics of physical systems.

How do you find the Hamiltonian of a system?

To find the Hamiltonian of a system, you first need to determine the kinetic and potential energies of the system. This can be done by considering the positions and momenta of all the particles in the system. Once you have these values, the Hamiltonian can be calculated using a specific formula or by using the equations of motion for the system.

What is the importance of the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is an important concept in physics because it allows us to understand the dynamics of a system. By knowing the Hamiltonian, we can calculate the equations of motion for a system and predict how it will evolve over time. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of wave functions.

Can the Hamiltonian of a system change over time?

Yes, the Hamiltonian of a system can change over time. This can happen due to external forces acting on the system, changes in the positions or momenta of the particles, or changes in the potential energy of the system. However, the total energy of the system, which is described by the Hamiltonian, remains constant.

How is the Hamiltonian related to other physical quantities?

The Hamiltonian is related to other physical quantities through the equations of motion for a system. These equations connect the Hamiltonian to the positions and momenta of the particles in the system, as well as other important quantities such as the Lagrangian and the total energy. The Hamiltonian is also related to the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes through space and time is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity related to the Hamiltonian.